We have many creative folks in Enrolment Services! This month we are interviewing Bushra from Student Support & Advising about the beautiful dolls and soft toys she makes and sells via her online shop BILLOO boutique.

We would like to make this an ongoing series, so please let us know if we could feature you, or a talented colleague in this space. Get in touch with your ES Connected unit rep or let us know in the comments below.

billoo-boutique-about
Hi Bushra! A colleague recently sent me a link to your online store, BILLOO boutique. How did you come up with the shop name? 

The word billoo is a made-up term of endearment. It comes from the Urdu word “billi” meaning kitty. I decided to use billoo for my shop name when I was reminded of the term by my cousin a few years back. It brought back memories of my childhood cat who was quite special to me and it finally felt right after having agonized over a name for quite some time. 

You sew all the dolls, clothes, and soft toys in your shop. When did you first start sewing?

I must have started sewing around the time I was seven. I really enjoyed watching my mom and sister sew as a kid. My mom used to make us elaborate garments for Eid and I wanted to try to make clothes for my dolls with her fabric remnants. My first attempts didn’t go so well, and I remember my sister helping me with my ideas. 

Over the years I sewed many things like soft toys, clothing, and accessories, and I think my mom still has a large horse stuffie and a cloth doll that I made when I was in junior high school. 

How did BILLOO boutique come to be?

In 2010 I opened an Etsy shop to sell handbags and wallets, and more recently, it transformed into a shop for baby items such as blankets and bibs. While on maternity leave, I knew I really wanted to start something more creative and I came back to some dolls that I used to make. They very quickly became my focus and then evolved into my newest pieces.

Last year I shared an image of a cat doll on social media. One of my old friends saw it and commissioned me to make him a similar doll but in rhino form. At first I was uncertain if I could pull it off, but I’m so glad I agreed to it because it turned out better than I thought it would and it inspired me to create more animals to make a collection that I named Savannah Friends on my website.

My goal was to launch my website before returning to work at UBC so that I could work on maintaining it once back. I knew that the time would be harder to come by when I got back to work full time. 

animals

What are your pieces made from?

I tend to use mostly natural fabrics like linen, cotton, and wool, and I often collect new and repurposed pieces of fabric and trim that reach out to me whenever I happen to see them. I don’t always have a specific plan for materials that I acquire, but I find that it helps the creative process when I have a nice supply of options ready for use.

Do you have a favourite fabric shop?

One of my favourite spots to find unique supplies in Vancouver is called Urban Source.  And I recently treated myself to a beautiful sampling of cotton and linen materials from Spool of Thread at the suggestion of a friend. Because my dolls are fairly small, a little piece of material can go pretty far.

My family and I are planning a trip to Europe in the fall, and I hope to sneak away to source out and collect some new supplies while there!

How much time does it take to create your dolls and soft toys?

It really depends on the piece. On average it takes me between five and ten hours to create a doll, but my smaller soft toys each take about an hour or two to make. It can take much longer if it’s the first time I’m making a particular doll or toy, especially if it’s a custom piece. I sketch my design first and make a pattern; then if it’s a completely new idea, I start with a prototype and adjust the pattern if needed. It takes some time to photograph everything as well and maintain my website, especially since I still have a lot to learn in that department.

dolls

You’ve been back for a few weeks now. How does it feel to be back with your ESP colleagues?

Our ESP group really is the best! When I left, things were just beginning to fall into place and now that I’ve returned I can see how much progress we have made in Enrolment Services with the ESP model. There are more opportunities now to streamline our processes and make even better connections with our students and campus partners.

I knew I would miss spending my days with my son and sewing, but the transition has been so much easier having such an amazing and supportive team to come back to.

Are there any ‘Makers’ that inspire you?

I have been admiring the work of @ohalbatross, @lespetitesmainss, and @lelelerele for quite some time now but I have also newly discovered some of the most lovely work of doll-makers through Instagram such as @lakesideneedleworks, @loup_design,  and @radcliffedolls.

Thank you, Bushra for being the first ‘Maker’ featured on ES Connected!

See more of Bushra’s work on Billoo Boutique and follow her on Instagram @billooboutique to stay in the loop.