Human Companion: Heather Mitchell
Name of Pet: Hailey
Type/Breed: Mini-Schnauzer
Age: 5

hailey3

Origin story:
My partner and I adopted Hailey four years ago. We were living in Toronto and answered an ad placed on Kijiji by a couple of students from Sheridan College in Oakville. They were moving to an apartment building that didn’t accept pets and needed to re-home Hailey. It was a sad moment to watch the students part with Hailey and I won’t forget the sorrowful look on her former mom’s face when we drove off in the car! I’m happy we made the decision to adopt, because Hailey has been a joy to have in the family and has brought out my hidden mom talents over the last four years.

hailey-1

Your pet’s favourite pastime: Hailey loves people more than anything… perhaps even more than treats. If you meet Hailey she’ll likely to climb on your lap and stare into your eyes hoping to get pats and kisses. You will fall for it because she has long eyelashes and soulful chocolate eyes. The second time you meet Hailey she will remember you and will yelp in excitement while running back and forth like a maniac. Just ask Tam Uden or Karen Waugh.

Favourite thing about your pet: Hailey is a fun dog and loves to select various toys from her basket for you to throw. Her Scottish grandma calls her the Wee Monkey which fits her personality perfectly.

hailey2

Interesting fact(s): Hailey has an aversion to walking over different textures and avoids grates or manholes in the sidewalk like they are the plague. In this photo, Hailey is contemplating stepping from the laminate floor onto the concrete of the balcony. For weeks after we moved this apartment she skittered awkwardly from balcony to living room and back until we had to put a carpet on the balcony to aid her passage.