The Pick Your Peak Stair Challenge is an annual, fun, and inclusive way to encourage faculty and staff to move throughout the day. All abilities are welcome to participate.
Duration: Monday, July 4 to Monday, August 1
Register by Friday, June 24 at 4:00pm
Participating either as an individual or as part of a team, submit your progress every Monday and be eligible for a number of awesome prizes, which will be awarded weekly through random draws, as well as to the highest individual climber and the team that has the highest average points per participant after the challenge has ended.
For more information, visit: hr.ubc.ca/health-and-wellbeing/physical-wellbeing/pick-your-peak-stair-challenge
Did you know?
- Stair climbing requires 8-9 times more energy expenditure than sitting.
- It counts as ‘vigorous’ physical activity and burns more calories per minute than jogging.
- You burn roughly 1.5 calories for every 10 steps.
- For buildings with five floors or less, it’s nearly always quicker to take the stairs.
- Studies show office workers save up to 15 minutes a day by taking the stairs.
- Stair climbing cuts carbon emissions. You could save between 0.3 & 0.6Kg of CO2/day.
- It can lead to improved cardiovascular health and stronger joints and muscles.