Indigenous Knowledge and Pedagogy, Mod 3 -Post 4

Perhaps my first mistake was making the assumption that the word pedagogy could be used to describe indigenous knowledge. After reading Battiste’s (2002) Indigenous Knowledge and Pedagogy, First Nations Literature Review with Recommendations, it became extremely obvious that the idea of pedagogy and literature reviews are both extremely Eurocentric.

My hypothesis – which formed as result of working with FNMI students, learners, elders and communities over the last year-  is that that the traditions, values and key features of indigenous knowledge appears to be what Eurocentric pedagogy is searching for. The way to learn is already out there.

So- I am not surprised that I will have to reconsider my wording, and vocabulary is order to compare and contrast the way we could learn.

Since I can already tell this topic is way too deep for me, I am going to create a project that introduces the common definitions of emerging/current European centric pedagogy, try to create a story about indigenous knowledge and then link current examples of how FNMI educators are integrating technology within these different  frameworks.

Of course – this all developed out of my original question – how do we develop “value” for learning (give credit?) in alternative programs with FNMI youth? When you think about assessment – you have to ask yourself – what is the learning objective and how do we plan on getting there? That’s how my new project emerged.

The project outline is on a wiki and the framework looks like this:

Home Page – Indigenous Pedagogy

Page 1 – Constructivism – Inquiry Based Learning – google Hangout (and examples)

Page 2- Connectivism – MOOCs – open learning OER’s – open practice

Page 3 – Adventure Learning (and examples)

Page 4 – Place Based/ Experiential Learning

Page 5 – Chart comparing pedagogies – Summary – Need a collaboration and awareness of “emerging” and “traditional” pedagogies

Page 6 – Assessment options – Creating programs with alternative assessment practices and integrated technology based on indigenous pedagogy (Brief summary of indigenous assessment research)

Page 7- Examples of possible tech integrated programs based on “collaboration” of pedagogies

Metis Camp Blog example http://www.forwardlooking.ca/wp/

Sister School Exchange  Alaska – http://youtu.be/aQZ_NU5g95M

Page 8 – Resources/References

Any thoughts, examples or links would be greatly appreciated.

Verena 🙂