Module 4: First Nations Pedagogy Online

For my final Weblog post, I wanted to share a site that I have found powerful in my research for my final paper. There are many parts of this course that have resonated with me, but one of the ideas that has rung the loudest bell in my mind is how culturally important storytelling is to many indigenous cultures, but how, ironically, the cultures that rely on this practice are at odds, so to speak, with the technology that surrounds them. This quandary makes my final paper difficult, but fascinating. This site, First Nations Pedagogy Online, offers much in terms of knowledge, support and resource. Here is part of the site’s philosophy:

“This Community has been built to offer a secure collaborative space
for interactive sharing and collaboration between educators, Elders, leaders, and students interested in furthering the knowledge available related to teaching First Nations learners in the online environment.”

One of the parts of the site that I appreciate is the opportunity to just sit and listen to stories. You can do that here. The stories take different forms, but that is testament in part to how the medium itself is always changing, and through my research, I have seen storytelling experiment with different forms.

I like this site because it is clear, direct and packed with different kinds of resources and opportunities to share – I hope you enjoy it as well.

Many thanks to you all for your wonderful weblog posts this semester!