A few coaching comments

I’m glad to see everyone so actively engaged with week 2.   I thought I’d take the time to offer some hopefully helpful tips to keep us on track:

Tags/Categories:  Please try to use appropriate tags and categories in your posts – it’s a good discipline to develop and you might be surprised at how useful they’ll be as our conversation builds.

Experiment & Share!:  This application of the UBC weblog has been enhanced with PulsePress (polling), video comments, group functionality, etc, that you won’t see otherwise.  Try these out and provide some commentary on how they work for you.  For example, if you’ve developed your own way to manage the information load of 522, using RSS, feedburner, or other techniques, please use the Blog Cafe category to share your magic.  Also, if you want to use any tools or plug-ins (even if they’re not installed!) for your Emerging Markets Team interactions, don’t hesitate to ask.  Our technical crew is really excited about pioneering feedback, so they’re keen to help.

Assignments #1 & #3:  You should be starting to think about your A1 topic pretty soon. A1 & A3 are nominally “papers” that you “hand in” to me for marking, but once again I’m open to creative suggestion.  I believe their descriptions make it pretty clear that I’m eager to accept any media and formats that get your message across effectively (the key is effective communication, not flashy media for its own sake).  I’m also open to your papers being posted somewhere for general viewing  and feedback if that is your wish (for example, I can create a branch of our blog, like the Emerging Markets Poll where these can be posted in parallel).

A1=A3?:  A couple of you have asked if A1 and A3 should relate to the same company, venture, market, etc.  The answer is that they “could”, but this would tend to be unusual.  I wouldn’t advise trying to force-fit this.  How it might work is if (for example) you did a critical analysis of a venture within your school district in A1, and came back later with an A3 that pitched a plan for what you would do if you were in charge.  If you want to go in this kind of direction, please consult with me before you do.  More typically A1 and A3 will be completely unrelated, giving you freedom to explore different ventures in distinct ways.

Keep your questions and ideas coming – more tips later…

Posted in: Blog Café