David’s Critique on Gartner’s Article

Gartner’s article about the top 10 Strategic Technologies for 2011 has some very intriguing points. The article states “Gartner defines a strategic technology as one with the potential for significant impact on the enterprise in the next three years.” This is important to keep in mind because even though some of the strategic technologies that Gartners discusses are not integral at the moment, they are in the process of become integral or relevant to educators, learning technology specialists and venturers.

All of these technologies seem to be becoming more prevalent, espieciually when one examines their future potentials.  I would like to choose a couple of technologies from this report that I have a strong interest in and offer my opinion.

Cloud Computing: There is little to no doubt that this is an important emerging technology. Apple and Google have cloud options so the venturers are already aware of its potential. It is infinitely more affordable for educators working with a stack of computers when the previous option was individual hard drives. It is great for learning technologies specialists as well because of the ability to share information without delay. Gartner predicts that this technology will unfold even more in 2012 I can already see that happening. Just the other day I heard an ad for IBM selling their business based cloud service on the local radio. Cloud storage is here and growing by the day.

Mobile Applications and Media Tablets: I personally have had my misgiving about tablets and mobile apps for education before. However the Luddite in me is (slowly) turning into a convert. According to Gartner nearly 1.2 billion mobile devices are already purchased. This is an astronomical number. Educators need to be aware of this and take advantage. Gartner states that “The quality of the experience of applications on these devices, which can apply location, motion and other context in their behaviour, is leading customers to interact with companies preferentially through mobile devices.” I can see these devices leading a technology change in the ways that students interact with educators where educators and schools become the equivalent to the companies that Garnter writes about. This is a very valuable technology.

Overall this report is an extremely detailed an intriguing one. All of the technologies listed are becoming commonplace in the education world. As for the venturers I am still learning about them, but I can see how all of these technologies can be used to become a part of a valuable e-learning platform. I would actively seek out this report, although I wouldn’t necessarily treat it as If it were a technology gospel. I still would like to compare it to other similar materials.

Posted in: Week 02: The Edtech Marketplace