Gaming experience – Does it really shape cognition?

I would not say I had direct personal learning experience with digital game-based learning within an educational setting but rather from games bought by my family with which I interacted. Most of the games required pattern sequencing. Other than that there were mainly nintendo games from which I would say I learnt strategy, paying attention to clues and memory recall of experiences from previous levels or attempts and applying them in future instances for success. Whether or not I transferred knowledge is not clear however I could say that that coupled with my dance experience, which offered me abstract as well as organisational, process and logical constructs, developed my approach to educational tasks. Experience with other realworld games strategy based board games resulted in the same (monopoly, risk, battleship).

I approach not just educational but also life situations using skills highlighted above so I question did my gaming experience really shape cognitive strategies?

In my teaching experience I employed the use of a jeopardy game to review and deliver content. It was computer-based and was very successful in adding difference to the methodology as well as it was fun and interactive. However, for it to shape cognition I think much more has to be employed in gaming design and use within curriculum/instruction.

Kerry-Ann

Posted in: Week 05: Game-Based Learning