My reflections on days 1-5, which I pref…

My reflections on days 1-5, which I prefer to present all together as a blog preference for centrality and easy of tracking responses.

Day1

I currently use blogging as a way for students to answer posted questions on course content per module, making an original blog post and commenting on posts of others. They also use blogs to put forward original ideas and questions.

I use both WordPress  and Blogger. The latter is linked to one of my class websites and group discussions. In another course I use WordPress which I find easy to host content while hosting discussions within the same space allowing for easier navigation.

From the exploration Edublog, Loudbot and Drupal proved attractive, particularly Drupal as it offers greater affordances as a content management system and being open source adds to its positive attributes

The choice of blogs would be dependent on use and level of content management needed. A useful comparison can be found at http://edublogs.org/why-edublogs/#comparisons. Loudbot offers greater opportunities for uploading and working with media, audio and media files upload and blogging. It is compatible with many blog environments and content management systems (e.g. Mambo, Joomla, Drupal, Serendipity, Geeklog or WordPress ). It also allows uploading, organizing and tagging of media files, after which Loudbot  can transfer such the CMS. One of the great attributes of Tumblr identified on the site is it’s the link to mobile accessibility and use via a free app that ‘lets you email or text posts from any mobile phone’

Although I have used blogger I would not continue using as I do not like that it seems separate from the site et al. unlike within a CMS as presented by Drupal.

Day 2

Most of my experiences using blogs are from a teacher perspective. In Jamaica we are often described as being an oral culture however, in tracking my students’ experiences with blogging they all report it as an enjoyable activity in which they all get to air their own perspectives and develop greater critical analysis skills through reflections and responding to posts/questions/ideas. They like the fact that they can take their time to construct and coach their own thoughts and ideas and their responses to their colleagues’ thoughts and ideas.

A question I often ask is ‘How does a blog differ from a discussion forum?’  I feel that students are more relaxed in a blogging environment and express themselves more freely. As a newcomer to blogging I would suggest the use of the continuum structure activities and takeadvantage of high level uses of blogging. One should also caution that although the environment can be perceived as more relaxed it is imperative to maintain professionalism while being mindful of the audience and high level blogging approaches (refer to continuum here as well).

As a learner I found discussion forums easier to navigate than the blogging environment as presented here in the ETEC 522 web blog forum. It was easier to read and keep track of all the posts. This observation is primarily from a user interface perspective. The learning by no means was/is impeded however, it is rather that navigating the space and tracking threads and thoughts are more difficult for me. I think therefore that the purpose of the blog and best organisation for purpose is also an important consideration for the newcomer to the blogging world.

Day 3

I chose the educational technology blog site http://educationtechnologyblog.com/. From the rubric and criteria listed for the criteria for good blogs/posts (http://etec522blogs.wordpress.com/criteria-of-good-blogs-and-posts/) the site scored 16/16 points for content and ideas, design, interest and writing quality (each category having a maximum grade of 4 points) . Up to date information is provided as well as new discussions on new tools/developments encourage readers to return to the site regularly. Site hosting is also commendable as a limit to visitors is not provided. Also, the use of RSS feeds and access via email and social networking sites allows for increased contact and community building. However, information on whether or not user statistics exist is not readily apparent.

Day 4

Some of the concerns/experiences I have had with blogging are:

Time is definitely a challenge – The blog is currently used in a blended environment of face to face activities and online activities. Time is directed at creating and managing both and there is a high frequency of posts. One of the affordances of discussions and posts is that greater emphasis on student-to-student interaction can in fact serve to answer questions and/or clarify details while increasing a sense of ownership and community and learner centred approach to learning http://cde.athabascau.ca/online_book/ch2.html#six than teacher centred. Lessened teacher comments in cases have been recommended to increase such attributes (Anderson, Theory of Online learning). This was something that worked for me but had to be explained as some students still expected me to answer every post, particularly when I made comments on some of their colleagues’ and not theirs.

Post quality – My posts have a definite purpose of facilitating further critical analysis and acknowledging quality posts and critical elements raised. This is essential in directing post quality and modeling desired elements/standards. I like the suggestion made that posts on a blog should be based on research and therefore be factual and verifiable. The use of, and emphasis on high quality referencing is recommended.

Blogging etiquette – Tone of ‘voice’, font usage (e.g. all caps and bold can be perceived as shouting) and language use/construct,  had to be addressed and coached. Students also discussed how they felt about certain comments was an eye opener for misinterpretations/misrepresentations and offered guidelines in creating more sensitive and responsible posting etiquette.

Exposure to public/Security and control – This was a concern in terms of security and protection but also served to increase personal engagement and care in the quality of posts and levels of critical analysis. Pseudo names were created however some names were inappropriate and again etiquette in blogging, particularly, within an educational sphere versus private, had to be discussed. I was also able to change user profiles within WordPress. The opportunity to approve and/or unapprove posts is another great affordance of WordPress.

Day 5

This was an interesting task. As I reflected on sharing my class blogs the main thought that came to me was who and what am I exposing my students to? Although this is a safe environment the concern is a real one and I think of the open and public nature of blogs and again we are back to security issues and concern. However, by reducing and/or eliminating the public sphere and increased community participation to blogging do we reduce the effect and/or impact that blogging can have?

I would love to experiment with voice and video bliogging. This would add greater variety and interest.

The educational technology blog is definitely as valuable one for us in this course http://educationtechnologyblog.com/

Kerry-Ann

Posted in: Week 07: Blogs