Day 4 Already?

wow, this week is flying past..or is it the engaging topic David?

I’ve been talking quite a bit at work with our IT department about this whole idea of mobile learning in our schools.  We have so many hurdles to overcome in elementary and secondary schools – first, as has already been mentioned is the cost of data plans that would be needed – many of our kids have cell phones that parents keep on very small plans -ensuring that the phone really is just for emergencies.  So we would have to spend a lot of time showing parents how the mobile learning can be useful.  After all, our Ministry has introduced mobile learning with D2L for all  of our online and blended learning…so we have no excuse.  We know that we are going to have to remove the ban on cellphones, deal with the complaints teachers always had that kids were too interested in texting friends when they had them, and provide PD for teachers to help them use the phones to advantage.

I like the list of activities for the cellphones David – extensive and they are really meaningful uses – that should get more buy in from teachers and parents.

Brenda

For me, I prefer the bigger screen too – for learning at least because I have no problem watching movies on my teeny tiny iPod Classic on flights – talk about a tiny screen!

Posted in: Week 11: Mobiles