A new interdisciplinary summer institute!

Standard

Greetings! I am writing to announce a new summer program that may be of interest to the students in your department. The Diverse Intelligences Summer Institute (DISI for short) will be directed by Erica Cartmill, an evolutionary anthropologist and developmental psychologist, and Jacob Foster, a computational sociologist, both at UCLA.

DISI will bring together promising graduate students and postdocs interested in the study of mind, cognition, and intelligence for two weeks of transdisciplinary exploration. Participants and faculty will fall roughly into three sub-themes: Recognizing Intelligences (i.e., non-human natural intelligences); Shaping Human Intelligences (how development, culture, technology, etc. shape human capacities); and Programming Intelligences (artificial intelligence and its social/philosophical implications). We’ve already assembled an outstanding international faculty, and anticipate stimulating discussion and debate across a range of cutting-edge topics. In addition to attending lectures and engaging in discussions, participants will have the opportunity to develop collaborative interdisciplinary research projects with guidance from DISI faculty and staff. We’ll be holding the Summer Institute at the University of St Andrews, Scotland, from July 29 to August 12, 2018.

I’ve attached two flyers advertising the Institute, and included a link to our website below. I would be grateful if you could circulate this email to the graduate students and faculty in your department. We are looking for creative, open-minded participants who want to take intellectual risks and break down disciplinary barriers in the spirit of dialogue and discovery. We’ll begin reviewing applications on February 1, 2018. We anticipate selecting and fully funding 40-45 participants.

DISI_flyer_baby_robot

DISI_flyer_ape

If potential applicants have any questions, they can contact me at disicontact@gmail.com. I would also be grateful if you could print out and post one of the flyers on the departmental notice board.

Thanks so much for helping us build an exciting new intellectual community! We hope to welcome members of your department to this or future iterations of DISI.

https://www.diverseintelligencessummer.com

All the best,
Stephanie Meredith, PhD
Program Administrator, Diverse Intelligences Summer Institute