John McNeill Excellence in Health Research Mentorship special lecture April 18

Standard

***Forwarded on behalf of Charlotte Lawson, Development and Alumni Engagement Director, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences***

Please could you share with the UBC Health Faculties/Departments the poster promoting the special lecture on April 18 by Dr. Varcoe in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences. We welcome Faculty and grad students from outside Pharm Sci to join us.

With thanks, Charlotte

Charlotte Lawson, MA Ed
Director | Development and Alumni Engagement | Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
The University of British Columbia
6519 – 2405 Wesbrook Mall | Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3
Phone 604.822.1328 | charlotte.lawson@ubc.ca

Why Mentorship is Good for your Health and ideas for how to get there

Dr. Colleen Varcoe, PhD RN
Professor, School of Nursing
University of British Columbia
2017 John McNeill Excellence in Health Research
Mentorship Award

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 12:00 noon

Robert Sindelar Seminar Room3340
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UBC, 2405WesbrookMall

Attracting high calibre trainees and colleagues to deepen and extend your research is critical to success as an academic, yet recruiting cannot become a mercenary, self-serving endeavor. My program of research in ameliorating the risks and health effects of violence, including cultural safety, harm reduction, and trauma- and violence-informed care, is not a “sexy” area which attracts many students and scholars.

The John McNeill Excellence in Health Research Mentorship Award prompted me to systematically analyze what has worked, and what I might have done differently to amplify my success and wellbeing earlier. In this talk, I will share my strategies to engage and propel highly qualified, productive, competitive postdoctoral fellows, doctoral students and colleagues.