Please notify us about your intention of applying by our Internal deadline – Nov 15, 2022
UBC Affiliated Fellowships-Master’s
The UBC Affiliated Fellowships Master’s competition runs in concert with the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s (CGS-M; see below) competition. Approximately 50 fellowship with values ranging from $175 to $16,000 are offered through this competition. Current and prospective full-time UBC-Vancouver graduate students can apply. Students who are eligible for the CGS-M must submit a CGS-M application in order to additionally be considered for Affiliated funding.
Detailed Affiliated Fellowships-Master competition information with links to application and reference forms is available at:
Tri-Agency Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s (CGS-M)
Applicants for Tri-Agency CGS-M competition must be domestic students (Canadian citizen or PR) who are applying for or enrolled in graduate studies anywhere in Canada. Each applicant can select up to 3 universities with the same application. To be considered for a CGS-M at UBC, they must select The University of British Columbia as one of the 3 available institutions.
Details about this award opportunity, including eligibility and evaluation criteria, are available at http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/CGSM-BESCM_eng.asp and our site at:
Students who apply for CGS-M awards will automatically be considered for open/un-restricted Affiliated Fellowships. To be additionally considered for criteria-based/restricted Affiliated Fellowships, students should fill out and submit to their graduate programs the checklist available at
Deadlines for the Tri-Agency CGS-M / Affiliated Fellowships Master’s Competitions
- Applicant deadline: 1 December 2022 before 5:00 pm PT
- Graduate program nomination deadline: 25 January 2023 at 4:00 pm PT
NEW! Indigenous Scholars Awards and Supplements Pilot Initiative (NSERC and SSHRC)
The Indigenous Scholars Awards and Supplements Pilot Initiative consist of a one-year, non-renewable supplement valued at $5,000 for all meritorious Indigenous CGS M applicants and a one-year, non-renewable award valued at $17,500 for all alternate candidates, subject to the limit of available funding. If you self-identify as Indigenous you are eligible to apply for this initiative. Note: CIHR is not participating in this initiative. For more information, see the Tri-Agency’s pilot initiative webpage.
- Please apply by the deadline – make sure you meet/exceed the requirements; check the eligibility before submitting the application
- CGS-M applications cannot be submitted or edited after the application deadline. Late applications will be ruled ineligible. The CGS-M application deadline is set nationally by the CGS-M funding agency and is not flexible.
- Ask for reference letters early and send the instructions to your referees:
- Check early with our office if you have all of your official transcripts for all previous studies (including transfer credits). Transcript guidance for applicants is outlined on the CGS-M webpage.
- Note that although the SISC academic history document is accepted for UBC CGS-M applications, it may not be accepted by other universities in Canada, so students applying elsewhere for the CGSM in addition to UBC should order official UBC transcripts.
- It would help us greatly if applicants used the same email in their CGS-M Research Portal login as in eVision or SIS. This is absolutely not a requirement, but it helps match the applications to correct programs quicker after the application deadline.