Rooming Houses in the DTES of Vancouver

I was reading an article called “Vancouver hotels that house the poor to get $144 million in renovations” and I wanted to know where the properties are located… So I made the following map using Google Fusion Tables. This is a great free way to geocode and display any address information with only a few basic steps. If you have some address data you want mapped, contact me for some tips on using this method : )

I was shocked they are spending this amount of money ($1100 per square foot!) to simply renovate these buildings when they can spend less and rebuild them. However, I definitely understand it is a tough situation as there is nowhere to move the residents if they were to rebuild. I am also happy the heritage value of the properties will be maintained. What do you think they should do with these properties?

This entry was posted in Data Visualization, Interactive, Maps, Public Health, Social. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Rooming Houses in the DTES of Vancouver

1. Cyrus says:

Wow, this is very useful for me. I’m working with the mech eng on the majority of these buildings and I needed to put together a list of all properties. Looks like you saved me some time.