Ashley Mak

AshleyMechanical Engineering 2017
General Mechanical

A little bit about me…
Hi! My name is Ashley. I am an avid tea drinker, acoustic music lover, and an amateur photographer. I love meeting and talking to new people. And food (but really, who doesn’t?). I’d love to share my stories and experiences as UBC Mechanical Engineering student with you – so, please feel free to drop me an e-mail anytime! I look forward to chatting with you.

I wish I had known before I came…
I wish I had known how much of a community is fostered and valued in UBC’s Mechanical Engineering Department – not only between the students, but also with professors and teaching staff. At first, I was too nervous to ask my professors questions. Being in a smaller group of students, compared to first year engineering classes with 350 people, professors make a valiant effort to remember students’ names and encourage an open-door policy.

I chose mechanical engineering because…
I chose mechanical engineering because I like the idea of being able to design and create something tangible from start to finish. Growing up, I was always curious how things moved and worked. Mechanical engineering just seemed like the best fit.

Mechanical engineering at UBC in one word…
Eye-opening

What I like best about my program…
UBC Mechanical Engineering reflects how versatile the field of mechanical engineering really is. In this program, there is no shortage of options of things you can do or choose to specialize in. The coursework is the perfect mix of both engineering theory and hands-on work.

Outside of the classroom, I am involved with…

• Club Mech (Publicity Rep & Professional Rep)
  • ASME UBC Student Section (Co-Chair)
  • Intramurals (Basketball, Ultimate Frisbee)

Favourite moment/memory so far…
There are too many to choose from! In MECH 2, after our class successfully completed each module (ie: MECH 221, 222, and 223), I would organize a night-out at a local pub. It was always amazing to see how many of our classmates would come out to celebrate our success. There was always lots of laughter and dancing. Too much fun.

Articles

Here We Go…

T-minus 2 Weeks

Calling all UBC First Year Engineers…

Networking, networking, and more networking!

Planes, robots, and granola bars

Reading Break Blues