Janet Sun

Mechanical Engineering 2023
Mechatronics Option

A little bit about me…

Hello! My name is Janet Sun, and I love getting involved both within or outside of the mech community. I am the current Club Mech president; please feel free to reach out to me if you have any fun events you would like to see us host. Currently, I am letting my passions take the reins in life and see where my feet take me. I enjoy reading, painting my nails, and learning about controls, systems, and some software/programming on the side.  I am going into my fifth and last year at UBC; a bittersweet parting. If you have any questions about my experiences at UBC Mechanical Engineering, feel free to reach out or send an email, and I look forward to connecting with you!

I wish I had known before I came…
Really do pay attention to tutorials and office hours. These sessions/times are designed to help answer questions and supplement the topics taught in class. They have been super helpful in answering any questions I had about concepts introduced within the course. There is an array of resources you have access to as a student to help you succeed. One more thing is to get involved! Not only within the mech community, but also in the greater UBC community. You can meet so many wonderful and talented people and broaden your horizons. Time away from pure engineering is an additional bonus.

I chose mechanical engineering because…
I wanted to study a subject that is very diverse and applicable to a multitude of fields in engineering. I also really enjoy working with software in addition to seeing my projects come to fruition, and thus decided to specialize in mechatronics.

Mechanical engineering at UBC in one word…
Perseverance

What I like best about my program…
I really enjoy being able to learn skills from various departments and how I can apply what I know to solve problems and implement my solutions. Being able to produce a tangible project at the end of a long design process brings about a great sense of accomplishment.

Outside of the classroom, I am involved with…

• Club Mech – President
  • Advanced Robotics Lab – Volunteer
  • Residence Life – RA
  • VSP – Vancouver Summer Program Assistant
  • SUBC
  • running a mini nail salon w/in my dorm
  • MECH Student Services

Favourite moment/memory so far…
The first thing to come to mind was building and running the ball model with my friends in MECH 2. From design conception to sourcing materials and building the contraption. I was finally able to realize my dream of building a claw machine. I am super thankful for my friends joining my team and their dedication to the project. The machine we built even placed 4th out of all the other 13 engineering departments. There is nothing quite like building something from scratch, getting your fingers superglued onto the project and getting a burn from the activator. This experience will forever be engrained in my memory as a very stressful but thrilling time.

Articles

MECH 423: Self-Balancing Robot

Introduction to Club Mech