Pages

Blogroll

March 2011
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  

Khan Academy: A Technological Revolution of 21st century

I have been thinking where technology has made the biggest difference in education. I do not need to think long to answer this question. In my view, one of the best examples is the Khan Academy. You have to check it out – it is an amazing collection of short mini-lessons on various topics – ranging from mathematics, to science, to social science, to economics. And what is the most amazing thing is that it has been created by one person – Salman Khan. Sal Khan created more than 1800 lessons that were viewed by 24,000,000 people all over the world! He has an immense knowledge and skill and he uses a tablet computer to create his lessons.

Here is a brief quote about Salman Khan from Wikipedia: “Salman Khan (born 1977) is the founder of the Khan Academy, a free online education platform and not-for-profit organization. He has produced over 2000 popular videos elucidating a wide spectrum of concepts, mainly focusing on mathematics and the sciences, in his home. His official channel, ‘Khan Academy‘ has, as of February 2011, attracted more than 38 million views.” You have to check it out!

YouTube Preview Image

2 Responses to Khan Academy: A Technological Revolution of 21st century

1. Zdenek Zraly

I agree. Please watch Salman’s recent speeach at TED conference 2011:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html

In his speech he explains his revolutionary view on how teach in classes and how is online platform allows teachers to gather useful data about progress of students.

Khan Academy is non-profit organization.

His videos cover lots of university topics.

Some schools starting to experiment with this framework and I hope UBC will join as well.

How can we promote his ideas and platform at UBC?

2. Marina Milner-Bolotin

Thank you for the link Zdenek.