Cop executes 22 year-old unarmed man at transit station in Oakland, incident captured on video

Here’s “post-racial” America for you. A traffic cop executes a 22 year-old unarmed man at BART station in Oakland, CA.

Here’s a report by KTVU, with video of the execution made by a train passenger. The most outrageous incident of a police violence I’ve ever seen.

The cop has given no account of the incident and has not been identified or even interviewed.

1. Holy crap. at first I thought it may have been an accidental discharge but after seeing that video, it is extremely hard to believe anything except an execution shooting by police.

2. To classify this as an example of “post-racial” America is a smug and foolish thing to do.
    The cynicism of declaring America “post-racial” is a disservice to Obama’s election-it supposes his election as a miracle cure-all, then flatly refutes it’s worth, and generalizes that the America is still a “racist country after all”. It takes into no account any singular factors beyond racism, such as power balance and classism. To quantify an individual’s actions as representative of a larger population’s mindset is dangerous and unfortunate. It is too bad however, that I sometimes find this when talking with Canadian friends, especially if they’ve not spent time living in the States-especially when institutional racism can be found in Canada as well.

3. You miss the irony in my use of “post-racial” to describe the USA. I’m not the one calling America “post-racial” that would be the MSM and many, if not most, Obama supporters.

One of the most persistent themes in the MSM (and among political liberals in the US and beyond) regarding Obama’s election is exactly the opposite of what your claiming, i.e., that the election symbolizes America overcoming its racist history. This is, of course, bunk because the US is racist country at it core. Look that the huge disparities in weath, health care, and education between whites and other Americans, for example.

Obama is political centrist, beholden to Wall Street as much, or more, than any other president. He is certainly not a break with the issues of power and classism that underlie much of the racism in the US.

As for the white cop’s execution of an unarmed African American, this is NOT an anomaly, but rather yet another example of the exercise of racist state-sanctioned police violence that has a long history in the US.

Lastly, I’m American not Canadian.