Mental Health Correspondents News

The Practice of Positive Thinking

A little while ago, I woke up feeling pretty miserable.I had a terrible cold, it was raining, I was behind on my assignments, there were bills to pay etc. etc.

FullSizeRender
A positive message from the past

I’m not proud to admit this, but I was feeling pretty low and wondering if there was really anything left to keep me happy, motivated, and ultimately avoid giving up.

Then as I was passing my book shelf I noticed a novel that I had not picked up for years. So I picked it up, and as I flipped through the pages I found this happy little message from my past that made me smile.

I guess the moral of the story being that no matter how down or depressed we may be feeling during a particular moment in time…there is always something to think positively about that is often right there hiding somewhere just in front of us (We just have to take a moment for ourselves to remember where it is that we need to look).

As much of a blessing as focusing on this message of positivity was for me in this instance, it sometimes takes a bit more than just one happy thought to help chase away the effects of depression or a low mood.

For more information on mental health benefits associated with the practice positive thinking, as well as some examples of simple techniques that you may be able to use in order to make positive thinking a part of your everyday life, take a moment to check out this article published by the staff of the Mayo Clinic.