Mental Health Correspondents

Brainstorm: how do I cope with stress?

I’ve been thinking lately about constructive ways to manage stress and anxiety.

It seems to me that many people (stress-laden university students included) use worry and rumination as somewhat of a coping mechanism for stress. I know I’m guilty of this. I also know that worrying is a habit that tends to lead only to more worrying rather than productive problem solving and/or stress management.

The following could be called an incomplete brainstorm of healthy ways to manage stress:

1. Time Management. This is perhaps more of a preventative measure than a resolution. That being said, I’d be willing to bet that binge-watching Netflix is probably not a valuable use of my time. The times where I do bother to make a list or schedule of impending tasks and assignments seem to end with less frustration and more restful nights.

2. Power Naps. I love naps. Long naps specifically, which, as it turns out, are not as productive as I tell myself they are. Recently, a physician I met with re:med school applications took the time to point out the merits of learning to power nap. Supposedly, literally “resting your eyes” for anywhere between 2-15 minutes (and not more!) can help increase alertness, concentration, and reduce worrying (if done right). How to power nap? Find a chair, floor, or desk; lean back; close your eyes; and clear your mind. Which leads to the next…

3. Meditation. I can’t really offer any wise insights concerning meditation as I’m nowhere near a frequent practicer, nor am I very good at it when I do try it. In Taekwondo, we sometimes take the time to sit cross-legged, close our eyes, and “meditate” or “visualize,” and I do find this helpful. However, as someone who finds it hard to stop the gears in my head from whirring incessantly, I’d say it’s definitely something that requires some dedication and patience.

4. Exercise. This is probably my favourite thing on this list. Not only do I find it to be the perfect distraction from whatever is hanging over my head, but it has been shown that exercise releases endorphins that reduce anxiety and stress [1]. When I was in first year, I looked forward to every Monday and Wednesday when I had martial arts because I knew whatever my mood, I would come home happy and more relaxed.

5. Eating Healthy. I won’t go into the science of this for this blog entry. Basically, I think that one of the benefits of eating healthy is simply that it might help to increase your self-esteem, sense of independence, and energy. In conjunction with living on my own, I found that eating healthy (in addition to buying healthy, cooking for myself, and budgeting what I spend on food) helped to keep my stress down. Which makes me wonder why I don’t do that so much anymore now that I live at home again…

6. Friends and Family. It’s really important to have those key people that you feel comfortable talking to. I like having a pretty diverse group of friends that I can look to for a variety of things– complaining, small talk, studying, socializing, etc. If I may be so preachy and clichéd, surround yourself with people that make you feel comfortable.

7. Take breaks. No, not 4-5 hour Netflix breaks (this is becoming a common theme of this post). Quick, focused breaks to regain your motivation. Sometimes I let myself watch a short episode of Friends. Or I switch subjects — going from Chemistry to Russian Literature sometimes gives my brain a much needed break that helps me relax (paradoxically, while reading Dostoevsky…) but still feel like I’m getting something done.

I guess the moral of this story is that we’re all probably aware of at least a few healthy coping mechanisms that can help reduce feelings of stress and anxiety. This does not negate the fact that sometimes more help (even professional help) may be needed. That being said, in a discussion I had with a psychiatrist recently, it was pointed out to me that for those who do not suffer from a more serious, chronic and debilitating mental illness, it is possible to reduce dependence on medication by introducing strategies such as therapy, or any of the coping mechanisms listed above or elsewhere. The idea is that implementing techniques learned (in therapy for example) can help stave off future bouts of anxiety, depression, OCD etc. In no way am I denying the effectiveness and necessity of psychiatric medication, but it did resonate with me.

Things to thing about– what do you do to cope with stress? Are you aware of destructive things you or others may do that could potentially worsen your stress or anxiety?

Note: I use “stress” and “anxiety” somewhat interchangeably in this post. I do this while aware of the fact that I’m primarily discussing a feeling or common human experience (a normal component of mostly everyone’s mental health). In this case, it is perhaps distinct from psychiatrically diagnosed anxiety (ie. Anxiety Disorders, Depression, etc.)the reason being that I don’t feel qualified to discuss at length such topics. 

Sources

1. “Exercise and Stress.” Mayo Clinic. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 21 July 2012. Web. 5 Feb. 2015. <http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/stress-management/in-depth/exercise-and-stress/art-20044469>.