Mental Health Correspondents

Store your stresses away

We all know that life is not easy. There are always things to worry and stress about, from school and family to work and relationships. Stresses and worries can take a toll on both our mental and physical health. We know that stress alone can’t change anything, and yet we can’t help but continue to experience it at times. Forcing ourselves to simply not feel any stress is likely to be an ineffective method that ultimately bottles up our emotions even further. So, how do we deal with it all? This is not professional advice, but I have a way with which I personally deal with stress.

When a worry comes to the surface in your mind, write it down in a notebook or document file. Write down why it causes feeling of stress and the next action you will take regarding this. Once it is written down, come back and think about it as necessary at a designated “worry time” each time. Continue through the rest of the day without worrying about it, knowing that you have already thought about it and planned what can be done. You can think of that notebook as a “stress bucket”, since those feelings are unlikely to simply vanish and have to go somewhere. If they do not go onto the paper, they will stay in your subconscious mind, buzzing around the rest of your thoughts. I hope this helps!

One reply on “Store your stresses away”

Thank you for sharing this article! For me, nothing worked except medication. It turns out my brain just needs medical assistance is all. Therapy and lifestyle were both not efficient for my sick brain. On medication, I adapt at the drop of the hat and modify my goals accordingly with zero difficulty. So, there is literally no such thing as stress for me anymore. Seriously. 13 yrs in the making, & I had no idea I could be so happy; ah, to be misinformed about medication/mental illness. I thought mental illness just meant suicide and cutting. Wrong. It can mean low energy and or negative mood (irrational, anger, irritability, frustration, guilt, fear, etc.) It doesn’t just mean sadness and or numbness, and it can literally develop at any time for no reason other than plasticity of Neurotransmitters/brain chemistry. For ex: If I were medicated back in 2003 like my mom encouraged, I wouldn’t have developed PTSD from an event a handful of yrs ago, I believe.

Thanks again for sharing! This club rocks!