Britt Drögemöller

Britt_Drögemöller_Photo 180pxBritt Drögemöller: Profile statement

I moved from South Africa to Vancouver in July 2014 to start a postdoc at UBC (focusing on the pharmacogenomics of cancer treatment). During my first month here, the UBC PDA provided me with an opportunity to meet other postdocs, while enjoying a summer hike in the North Shore. Events like these, ranging from kayaking trips to Christmas parties to research days, have helped me transition into life in a new country.  The PDA has not only provided me with the opportunity to get to know Vancouver and UBC better, but has also helped me to make connections with other postdocs. Becoming an executive member of the PDA will allow me to develop my leadership skills, while providing me with further opportunities to network. In terms of my vision, I would like to continue to organize events similar to the ones that were organized last year. An event schedule that includes a mixture of relaxed evening get-togethers and active outdoor events will ensure that the PDA events appeal to a wide variety of individuals. As I have attended many of the PDA events in the past year, I feel that this experience will aid me in organizing future events.