Professor Accuses University of Discriminating Against Him Because of His War Injuries

by E Wayne Ross on August 22, 2006

The Chronicle: Professor Accuses University of Discriminating Against Him Because of His War Injuries

A tenured professor of criminal justice at Saint Xavier University who was injured while serving as a military reservist in Iraq says the Chicago institution has failed to accommodate his injuries and is now trying to push him out of his job.

Christopher C. Cooper, an associate professor of law in Saint Xavier’s department of sociology, anthropology, and criminal justice, was called to active duty as a reservist with the National Guard in October of 2003. While working as an infantry sergeant in Iraq, Mr. Cooper says, he was thrown from a Humvee and sustained injuries that left him with viral infections, dangerously low blood pressure, and a frequent need to urinate.

Since returning from Iraq in October of 2004, Mr. Cooper, who is 43, says he has had to interrupt his classroom teaching to go to the bathroom and to monitor his blood pressure. He has also had to cancel classes for hospital visits and because “sometimes my glands swell and I get blisters on my tongue and I can’t speak.”