From Machista to New Man?: Omar Cabezas Negotiates Manhood from the Mountain in Nicaragua

In “From Machista to New Man?: Omar Cabezas Negotiates Manhood from the Mountain in Nicaragua,” I examine how a new masculinity emerges in Nicaraguan Omar Cabezas’ political bildungsroman La montaña es algo más que una inmensa estepa verde (1982). By using theories by Judith Butler, Julia Kristeva and Slavoj Zizek, who propose gender as a category in flux, I demonstrate how the surface of what is repressed by a bourgeois society – the body, emotions, sexuality, and the scatological – seeps through the cracks of Cabezas’ revolutionary narrative to build up a heterogeneous and contradictory model of manhood that is reformulated in response to the historical needs and demands of the Sandinista Revolutionary project. In my analysis it becomes clear that the new male code embodied in the Sandinista emerges on the mountain, the domain in which rebels experience the ideological limits of core bourgeois loci like the family, knowledge and the future. The centrality of the mountain to Cabezas’ revolutionary discourse and self-construction as a man and guerrilla rebel suggests that this space is the geography upon which men struggle to break with traditional machista praxis dominant in bourgeois societies and redefine their male identity in relation to the mountain and the men living there.