Peer review report for definition of bandstructure

To: Andree Coschizza

From: Brian Wang

Date: September 25, 2019

Subject: Review of your definition of bandstructure

Hi Andree,

I have gone through your definition of band structure and am very intrigued by your explanation! I have never heard of solid state physics before, and after reading your definition, I gained a better understanding of the classification of materials based on their Fermi level. I am genuinely intrigued by this perspective of viewing materials and am going to do some reading by myself. If I were the supervisor, I would approve this definition based on its clarity and simplicity.

Purpose: from my understanding, the purpose of the definition is clearly defined. The document stayed simple in terms of jargon which adheres to its intended audience.

Suggestions: The only area I got confused was the last sentence of the first paragraph where it is outlining what will be explained by this document. I have to re-read the sentence multiple times to make the connection of different arrangement of electrons of different elements. I’ll admit it is hard to say this clearly but maybe give it another shot to make it more clear.

I enjoyed how the document went back to the basics explaining how elements are formed. This method gave the audience a common starting point to follow along with the concept. I also found the diagram of the different materials (insulator, conductor, semi-conductor) and their Fermi level very helpful in visualizing and understanding the concept. The only feedback on that part would be maybe explaining what E means; I assumed E = energy level?

Organization: I can see that the extended definition used the following expansion strategies: how does it work, what are its parts, what does it look like and how is it used or applied. They worked appropriately to understand a physical definition.

Overall I find this a useful definition explaining band structure to someone who has no exposure to solid state physic. I enjoyed the common starting point and limited use of jargon in this document. Great work!

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Brian

P.S. here is the link to the definition under review: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2019wa/2019/09/24/technical-definitions-bandstructure/