2.2 Peer Review of Jenny’s LinkedIn Profile

To: Jenny Zhu, ENGL 301 Student

From: Amy Vergouwen, ENGL 301 Student

Date: October 26, 2019

Subject: Peer Review of Your LinkedIn Profile

I have reviewed your LinkedIn profile, and I think you have done a wonderful job with it. If you will accept some extra pointers, I have listed a few below that I think would make your profile even better.

First Impressions

My first impressions of your LinkedIn profile are very good. I am impressed with how well-established your profile is, and the level of detail you have included. It is clear that you already used LinkedIn prior to this assignment, with your number of connections and endorsements, which is impressive. I might even say your profile is close to perfect, you do not have much room for improvement as it is extremely well done. My only main comment I have regarding your LinkedIn is that I find your “about” section to be bordering on slightly too personal for the nature of LinkedIn.

Photos

Your profile photo is a great, clear, close-up shot of you. It is exactly what the LinkedIn lists of tips recommend for a good quality profile photo. I appreciate that you have a cover photo as this is sometimes overlooked. Although I do think your cover photo looks nice with the theme of your profile, I wonder if you could make it even more tailored to your interests and education (possibly a photo of the UBC Vancouver campus, or something a bit more biology or chemistry based to go with your UBC Geering Up job).

Headline

Your headline is sufficient and provides enough information about your current position and location of it.

About

Your about section on your profile is very detailed and provides a large amount of information about you as a person, and all of your professional and academic achievements. I like that you are trying to provide a personal aspect to your profile to let colleagues and potential employers know more about you as a person, but I do feel that it is a bit too much for LinkedIn. In my opinion I do not think that LinkedIn is the right place for anecdotal stories, or your personal hobbies (unless they apply directly to your professional life).

Work Experience

Your experience section on your profile is really outstanding. You have done a great job at providing detailed and in depth descriptions of each of your jobs, and it is very interesting to read. I noticed that you give a description of the company before you state what your position is there, and I really enjoyed that. I will definitely be applying this to my profile.

Education

Your education section is well done an I like how you provide the list of classes you have taken, as employers are able to see what you topics you have studied extensively in your schooling. I do think it would be helpful to add your high school education to your profile as well, and that way you could add the activities, clubs, or endeavors you pursued during that time.

Licenses and Certifications

Your list of certifications is very impressive, and a good addition to your profile as it makes you appear quite well-rounded as an individual. I do not have any comments or suggestions regarding this section.

Volunteer Experience

Your volunteer experience section, as your other sections are, is very in depth. I do understand that some positions are less intense or possess less tasks than others, but your “Workshop Instructor” volunteer section is quite limited so I wonder if you could expand slightly on this position.

Skills, Endorsements, Accomplishments

Your skills section is very minimal and I do think you could include many more, considering the amount of work, volunteer and academic experience you have. This will help to make other connections more likely to endorse you. It is very impressive that you speak 3 languages and it is great that you included that in your profile as it diversifies the types of jobs you are appropriate for.

Interests

Your list of interests is thorough and provides an insight into the types of companies and institutions you are involved with or are interested in, so this is great.

Organization, Sentence Structure, Grammar

Your profile is very well-organized and I did not find any visible grammatical errors. All of your experiences are in chronological order which is helpful.

Concluding comments

Overall, I am super impressed with your LinkedIn profile. It is very complete and chockful of details about your academic and professional experiences. Any comments I mentioned in the above sections are very minor, as I think your profile is very close to being perfect. As I stated, the only main section I would change is the “about” section being too personal. Other than this, your profile is a great representation of who you are and what you would bring to a company. I hope my comments are helpful to you, and please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you for allowing me to peer review your profile.

LinkedIn Peer Review Template: 2.2 LinkedIn Peer Review Template Amy Vergouwen

Jenny Zhu’s LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jenny-z-329770a2/