Memorandum to Evan Crisp

Memorandum

To: Evan Crisp, Student

From: Andree Coschizza, ENGL 301 student

Date: November 22, 2019

Subject: Best Practices for Professional E-mail Writing

Thank you for the opportunity to read your e-mail to Professor Lambert concerning course enrollment. This was a good effort in writing a professional e-mail, however I’ve outlined some suggestions below to hopefully garner a response in the future:

1. Addressing Professor Lambert with a more formal tone will enhance your credibility, for example:
    1. Using a professional email (a school address decreases the chances that the e-mail will be sent to a Spam Folder
    2. Editing out unnecessary details (the instructor does not need to know you don’t want to wake up early or are going to the beach)
    3. Replacing abbreviations with full words
  2. Adding a subject to your e-mail will catch the Professor’s attention and immediately declare the intent of the e-mail
  3. Addressing Professor Lambert with proper titles (ex. Professor or Dr.) creates a more respectful tone
  4. Showing a direct interest in Professor Lambert’s course may convince him to accept you into the class
  5. Taking initiative to solve problems, rather than presenting problems, shows a commitment to the course
    1. For example the postscript could be changed to “Unfortunately, I am away for the first two weeks of term, but guarantee I will catch up on all material.”
  6. Sign your email with your full name and student number so the Professor knows how to address you, and knows how to add you to the class

Hopefully these suggestions will be helpful for you in the future! Please contact me if you have any further questions.