Ines is an Enrolment Services Professional within the Student Support & Advising unit. She joined ES a little over a year ago from the Sauder Undergraduate office. The project teams she supports include Non-Degree Studies, Graduate and Postdoctoral studies, Onboarding new team members, and the adjudication of the Trek Excellence scholarship.

What does Ines like most about ES? “I love the folks that I get to work with on a daily basis, both within our immediate ESP team, and within all of the different ES units that we intersect with to provide an array of support to all of our students. I feel very lucky to thoroughly enjoy coming to work every day!”

The view from Restoran Senko, Mala Uvala, Vis

Ines, tells us where you jetted off to?
This past August, I spent four weeks travelling through the countries of Former Yugoslavia, visiting family, discovering new places, stuffing my face with delicious food and swimming in the Adriatic Sea. My trip began in Bosnia and Herzegovina, first in Trebinje (think: Osoyoos) and then in Sarajevo where I was born (host of the 1984 Winter Olympic games). Next we travelled to the Croatian coast, to Split, the islands of Brač and Vis, and Trogir. I cannot recommend the Adriatic coast more, either in Croatia or Montenegro – stone filled beaches and clear, warm water that quickly changes from turquoise to a deep, gorgeous blue. Just be careful of the sea urchins, they’re everywhere! My trip ended in Belgrade, Serbia, where I roamed through the big city during the day and relaxed in a cafe on the river Sava or Danube in the evening.

Old bridge in Trebinje that my grandfather helped rebuild after World War II  

Town of Milna, Brač

Adriatic Sea view from a clifftop in Vis

What were some of the highlights from your trip?
Visiting with family and friends that I hadn’t seen in a long time was of course a highlight for me personally, however, the hike that I did on the island of Brač to the highest peak in the Croatian island network called Vidova Gora definitely stands out as a memorable moment! We headed up at 6:30AM to beat the blazing sun (most days reached over 35 degrees Celsius). We found ourselves alone in a pristine and quiet forest interrupted every so often with the sound of bells and a distant ‘baaa.’ My confusion over the sound was quickly answered as we began to come across herds of sheep which roam freely in the hills there. To top it off, a wild rabbit ran across our path! Being immersed in nature like this was so revitalizing. When we arrived at the view point, the view was spectacular, with the big island of Hvar directly in front of us and many small islands in the distance. After a small picnic, we headed back down and had the rest of the day ahead of us.

Viewpoint at Vidova Gora, Brač

If possible, tell us about your favourite meal?
The most memorable meal that I had was on the island of Vis, at Restoran Senko in Mala Travna. This was located in one of the many coves that make up Vis, featuring a tiny pebble beach surrounded by jagged cliffs and encompassed by trees.

We were welcomed into this family run restaurant nestled in this picturesque landscape and began a lunch that lasted from 2PM until 9PM, taking turns to jump in the water and soak in the sun in between courses. There was of course a homemade brandy sampling, heavenly appetizers, a clam broth, traditional bean stew and fresh fish fillets. We finished off with some baklava desserts and Turkish coffee. I am biased when I say this, but all of the food that I ate on my trip was absolutely delightful with a true Mediterranean recipe – savoury, infused with olive oil, often grilled, with just a few spices for seasoning. The majority of the food is locally sourced, organic, and fresh so you can really taste the difference, especially in the meat and seafood!

Appetizers at Senko’s

Senko pouring us some homemade brandy

Holding a sea urchin for the first time (we set it free back in the sea afterwards!)

Last question – what is some advice you would give to someone wanting to travel to this area?
The one piece of advice that I would give to anyone who is interested in travelling in this region is just to keep an open mind! Things do run differently, and often on their own clock, and people may seem to be rude at first, but they are actually very helpful and pleasant once you converse with them. The majority of people speak English which will make getting around easier. I would especially suggest making it out to Sarajevo given its rich multicultural history, and if you do, you must try the staple food: ćevapčići (minced meat sausages served in a thin type of pita bread with diced onions and a kind of sour cream).

What will be sundried tomatoes

ćevapčići at Hodžić  in the town centre in Sarajevo