Please describe your role at UBC.

I’m an ESP, which means I have Extra Sensory Perception.  Some people think this means I can move objects using the power of my mind, but it actually means I can predict how long it will take for a student’s transcript to be processed by the admissions office.

Quick—think of a tool.

Did you think of a hammer? BOOM. ESP, baby!

What do you like most about working in Enrolment Services?

Getting to work closely with Paul Poole.  Like, I’m talking in close physical proximity. A lot of the time he doesn’t even know I’m there.  I’ll come up behind him and see how closely I can get my face to the back of his head without disturbing him.  That, and making a difference in student’s lives.

Where did you recently travel to?

I travelled to Japan and bounced around from region to region, but spent the most of my time in the southern peninsula of Kyushu.  Kyushu is known for its volcanic geography, so lots of steep mountains and hot springs. I love Japan, but had never been to Kyushu before, so I wanted to check it out.  I also really wanted to see a wild boar and that’s where they kick around.

What is one of your “must-sees” in the Kyushu region?

I was in a town called Beppu that was known for its “Hell Pools”, eight unique hot-springs, each with its own gimmick.   One was blood red, one was milk white, one was an alligator breeding ground, etc.  These were not for playing around in, they were way too hot/filled with dangerous animals, but you could boil an egg in them and eat it. Which I did.  Several times.

What was your favourite dish that you ate?

In Hiroshima train station there is a place that serves Tsukumen (Japanese cold ramen) that was so good I ate two meals, back to back, like a desperate noodle addict.  This was not my proudest moment.  I could see genuine fear and distrust in my fiancé’s eyes.

If I were to go to Kyushu tomorrow what is one piece of advice you would give me?

I’d recommend travelling anywhere in Japan to anyone, especially if you’re into the food.  Bare minimum, anyone travelling there should memorize Katakana, which is the script they use for writing out foreign words.  If you’ve got Katakana under your belt, you’ll be shocked at how helpful it will be.  You’ll go from having no idea what is going on to knowing about 25% of what is going on.   Also, sumo wrestling will blow your mind. It’s a little pricey, but you will not regret it.