Honour the Apology – Weblog 4 – 4

It’s Time to Honour the Apology

I chose this story because it is very recent (3-4 days ago). For those who haven’t followed it, I will recap it.  A student at Carleton University, Geraldine King, has asked the government to release documents to the TRC (Truth and Reconciliation Commission).  She helped spearhead a protest on July 25th, in Ottawa.  The government has responded that they aren’t holding many documents  and that some TRC searches have been irrelevant.

The TRC sees it differently.  They have asked, repeatedly, for millions of documents the government is still holding onto.  King, whose grandmother attended St. Joseph’s (not the one in William’s Lake), is still trying to get the release of documents.  This follows closely on the revelation a few weeks ago on the nutrition experiments the government conducted on students in residential schools.

I am planning on using this, among some more recent stories, to showcase that the TRC was the only thing the government has done since the apology by Stephen Harper.  This, coupled with Annett’s allegations from the ITCCS, may show the government has been dragging its feet, after all the promises in the apology.

TM