Educase: 2011 Top 10 IT issues, guidelines to assist in the implementation of distant learning in tertiary educational institutions.

In light of the fact that most tertiary institutions in Jamaica and possibly the rest of world are going through a diffcult period, I particularly like “Educause: 2011 Top Ten IT Issues” because it addresses the major ideas which are associated with the implementation of e-learning in institution in an economical way. The world has been greatly affected by the global recession which has resulted in the reduction in enrollment of students in most institutions. This reduction in enrollment of students has caused a significant decrease in institutions’ revenue and has led to the closure of some programmes and the scaling down of staff. In Jamaica, the problems facing the institutions were further compounded by the reduction of subsidies provided by the Ministry of Education. These factors have prompted administrators of various institutions in Jamaica to find new ways of providing educational services to their consumers. One such way is the implementation of distant learning in the institutions which explains the reason that the points alluded to in the article entitled  “Educause: 2011 Top Ten IT Issues” are important to me, as I am a Jamaican lecturer in one of these institutions .

The points outlined in the article entitled “Educause: 2011 Top Ten IT Issues” are useful to individuals who are involved in the implementation of e-learning in educational institutions across the world. I found the following points which were elaborated on to be useful to the tertiary institutions who want to weather the storm of this catastrophic global recession and to bring education to individuals at any physical location.

1.    Funding IT
2.   Administrative/ERP/Information Systems
3.   Teaching and Learning with Technology
4.   Security
5.   Mobile Technologies
6.   Agility/Adaptability/Responsiveness
7.   Governance, Portfolio/Project Management
8.   Infrastructure/Cyberinfrastructure
9.   Disaster Recovery / Business Continuity
10.  Strategic Planning

In addition, I think these points provide answers to  queries I had in relation to funding IT, security, infrastructure/cyberinfrastructure, teaching and learning with Technology and disaster recovery / business continuity of e-learning in tertiary institutions in Jamaica. The points gave me the proper approach that should be taken in the implementation of e-learning in Jamaica. The provided information in the article allows me to properly advise my school principal on topics that are associated with the implementation of e-learning in an educational institution.

The implementation of e-learning in institutions in Jamaica and rest of the world is the way forward if institutions want to improve their revenue. The points highlighted in this article could greatly assist in the prolific implementation of e-learning in educational institutions.

Reference:

Eudcase: 2011 Top 10 IT issues .Retrieved from http://www.educause.edu/EDUCAUSE+Review/EDUCAUSEReviewMagazineVolume46/TopTenITIssues2011/228654 on September 13, 2011.

Posted in: Week 02: The Edtech Marketplace