RRU Open Courseware Initiative

I looked at the Royal Rhoades Open Courseware initiative pitch and I feel that this was geared to internal decision-makers than a venture capitalist.  After watching the pitch, I found that I needed more details on the following items:

1.  Types and number of courses to be created
  2. Projected time and resources needed
  3. Details on the projected profits, enrollment and  benefits for the University
  4. Marketing plan to promote course materials

The other concern that I have is about copyright infringement.  The author states that the material would be under the creative commons license, but how would they be able to appropriately police this?  If the material is co-opted by other institutions, it would probably cost money in the form of legal fees to rectify the situation.

Finally, as it seems that the author’s goal is to improve educational standards and the University’s profile, these objectives can be better accomplished through educational studies, publications and conferences.  These measures not only will increase the profile of the University internationally, but it can also potentially help to recruit more teaching faculty and students to the institution.

As a result, unless the above items are addressed, I would not consider this proposal.

Juliana

Posted in: Week 03: Analyst Bootcamp