Livescribe Smartpen

Livescribe smartpen

In 2008 Livescribe released its first smartpen, The Pulse, which records what you hear and connects it to what you write. You can playback your lectures by taping on a particular note in your notebook or on the uploaded version on your computer. The Eco, which was released in 2010, featured a new standard USB charging cable and changed the 2.5mm headphone jack to the standard 3.5mm, in addition to increased storage capacity of 8GB as opposed to 2GB or 4GB options that were previously available.

Jim Marggraff, Founder of Livescribe Inc.

Jim Marggraft has been an entrepreneur for over 20 years, he is one of the founders of Explore Technologies and StrataCom and most recently Livescribe. Before Founding Livescribe Inc. in 2007, Mr. Marggraft was the inventor of the LeapFrog Fly Pentop computer and creator of the LeapPad Learning System. He served as LeapFrog’s executive vice president of worldwide content and was the founding president of its internet division. Mr. Marggraft is a graduate of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), with degrees in both electrical engineering and computer science.

Livescribe’s team is made up of 10 core individuals; most have had at least 15 years experience in their related field in addition to holding top positions in other companies before joining the Livescribe team. The 10 team members are:

• Jim Marggraff – Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
  • Dan Fraisl – Chief Product Officer, Software and Services
  • Andy Van Schaack, Ph.D. – Senior Science Advisor
  • Byron Connell – Chief Marketing Officer
  • Helen Thomas – Vice President, General Manager International
  • Jim Allison – Senior Vice President of Engineering
  • Sasha Pesic – Executive Vice President, Corporate Development, Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary
  • Rick Neely – Chief Financial Officer
  • David Wenning – Vice President of Sales
  • Holly De Leon – Vice President Sales, K–12

Personally, I absolutely love the LiveScribe SmartPen. I purchased their first version in 2008 and used it throughout my undergraduate studies. I was skeptical at first but was extremely pleased with the results, and even suggested it to family members for use in meetings, etc. In regards to my own entrepreneurial potential, after reading through the biographies I have realized that it is not impossible, but will require a lot of hard work and perhaps further educational studies.

Anoto AB. (Photographer). (201o). Livescribe pluse smartpen [Photograph], Retrieved October 1, 2011, from http://www.flickr.com/photos/anotogroup/4830232544/

Solis, B. (Photographer). (2008). DEMO08 day 1 afternoon – Jim Marggraff, Livescribe [Photograph], Retrieved October 1, 2011, from http://www.flickr.com/photos/briansolis/2229907754/

Posted in: Week 04: Entrepreneur Bootcamp