The 3rd world farmer game review

This game allows you to pretend to be a farmer in a third world country (Africa). It is a family of 4 (2 adults under 30 and 2 children under 9), with very little money. The children put in 38% labour each into the farm work while parents put in 100% each, The children have no education.

My impression of this game is that it is easy to play and quite a basic way of adding up numbers and good for decision making process. It provides an avenue for the user to predict expectations and consider the existing circumstances before making decisions which where varied not just about farming but also about family and community as well as the work ethic. This game held my attention for as long as I played it and I was not bored.

It allows you to make calculations and consider risks and possibilities, profit and loss. At the end of each year there is an annual report with summary and analysis of all the elements that played a role in the outcomes of the year.

I think it has potential to teach math, accounting, commerce and concepts like budgeting and investing in a primary grade with a possibility of extending it with some tweaking to higher grades. 

In the first year I had to make decision on which crop to buy and sow and which would likely yield profit as I had very little money but with a family of 4 (2 adults over 27years and 2 children under 9years), where the parents work fulltime.

By the end of the harvest season, I was able to make minimal profit. It was a good farming year but I had planted very few crops because I had very little money. My enthusiasm increased when an offer from a distant relation in the city mentioned job opportunity that would pay more than what I made in that year. I sent my son off to live with the relation while working in the city and the advance payment from that doubled the money I had, allowing me to buy more crops the second year even though that year turned out to be a bad harvest for farmers leading to petty theft, I had chosen crops that did well and was able to make some profit.

The third year threw an unexpected curve as I accepted the offer from militia to pitch their camp in my less fertile land. My intention was that it would provide security for my family because of the war, while accepting payment from them to increase farm crops. I made a lot more that year both parents worked approximately 72hours each but unfortunately, I lost the child left at home child in the crossfire.

Posted in: Week 05: Game-Based Learning