My eBook Experience

My first experience with an eBook would be when I installed apps called Stanza and Classics to my iPhone about 2 years ago. 

Stanza is an app which you can download a selection of more than 50,000 contemporary books from its partner stores. It also allows you to download classics and recent works from Project Gutenberg, Feedbooks, and other sources.

Classics is a similar app to Stanza. The only difference is that it only has 23 classics such as Dracula, Treasure Island, Monte Cristo, Frankenstein, and the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

I usually read these eBooks before I go to bed. Some advantages of reading an eBook on the iPhone is

• Portability: I carry my iPhone all the time, so I get to read an eBook whenever I can. It’s much lighter than carrying a book (doesn’t matter whether it’s paperback or hardcover).
  • Accessibility: iPhone is always in my bag, in my pocket, or in my hand, so I have easy access to the eBook. It takes less than 5 seconds to upload the part of a book that I want to read.
  • Go green!: I am contributing to the protection of the environment. It saves trees, energy, printing costs, and much more.

However, there are disadvantages as well. Some of the disadvantages are

• Health issues: Since both the screen and the fonts are small, it’s not good for my eyes.
  • No batteries, no read: Sometimes when batteries get run out, I can’t have access to my eBook. Unlike a paper book, I have to wait until I can turn on my iPhone.

Although there are some advantages that I’ve found when using iPhone as a book, I like my experience reading an eBook. Since I’m used to it, it’s much more convenient and efficient for me to quickly read eBooks/eArticles/eMagazines than spending time and energy to print and wasting paper. I just needed some time to become adjusted to “reading from the screen”.

Deb

Posted in: Week 06: eBooks