Day 2’s post – blog use as a teacher/student

How have I used blogging as an educator?

It’s not useful for me for class management. I teach in a small school, with a relatively small number of students. Two or three classes don’t spark a need for me to manage them online – it would just be more work in my case.

I could use it for collaboration, but I haven’t yet. The only thing close to collaboration that my students have done is more of a discussion item – students viewing posts of others and leaving comments for them. I also will visit posts and comment on them in some form.

The main reasons I have used blogs in the past are:
– to create an e-portfolio for writing; to have a record of work and progress that can move and grow with them
– to motivate unmotivated writers and encourage them to improve the quality of what they do (or don’t do!). I had mixed results. I had one in particular who was a student on an IEP – he wrote so much better and so much more online. Conversely, I had a couple of high-achieving students who wrote poorer and wrote less because they just didn’t like technology or blogging.

I guess this would put me on the lower-quality end of what I could do with blogs, but for the simple tasks I wanted to do with them, it has suited my purposes.

As a student, the jury is out – I’m currently in this course, my first blog-based one. It is OK so far, but my main criticism is the discussion / posting. I much rather a bulletin/message board style, where threads are separate, and you can see when something new has been posted in each thread. I find navigating through posts (and especially finding who has replied to me) in our course to be more work than it needs to be.

Posted in: Week 07: Blogs