Day 2 – Mobile Apps

I think a well designed Apps can be quite useful, but unfortunately I have a Blackberry and there are not a lot of apps available for this device.  I had a quick look at the How Stuff Works app as I have often used this site for my teaching, but unfortunately it was not available for the BB, so I couldn’t try it out.   

I did try a free app for BB which is called Moo Math Lite.  I thought it was a good app for math drills.  I think it would a good app for young kids to practice their skills.  It was easy to use and had enough of a game interface to make it engaging for kids.  You can see the numbers easily on the screen and it has some music and sound effects which can make the app interesting for a young child.  This app clearly does not teach math skills to kids, but it does allow them to practice their skills and so it would be a good supplement to traditional math lessons.

I am also in the midst of trying out BlackBoard mobile learn, but I am having some issues getting it to work on my BB.  I will let everyone know what I think of it once I get it to work.

Juliana.

Posted in: Week 11: Mobiles