Looking Back

Looking back, how does what you expected to learn during ETEC 565 compare to what you actually have learned, in terms of technical competencies?

Without a doubt, this course should be a requirement, rather than an elective. I will go one step farther and claim that it should be the VERY FIRST COURSE one takes. It would have saved me a lot of heartache. This is the most practical course I have taken thus far in the MET program. All too often it feels like one gets too bogged down with theory when all I want to do is be a better teacher. How can I provide a more effective learning experience for my students? Theory has its place and I understand its importance. However, the technological applications used in this course are priceless. It has forced me to take that leap and to play! I certainly hesitated to do this in the past.

Moving forward, how do you think what you learned in ETEC 565 will impact your educational practice, be it as an instructional designer, instructor, or administrator?

I laugh when I look back at my outlook at the start of the course. I was actually irritated that we had to create an LMS. I thought to myself, why would I want to put effort into something I am never going to do- online teaching! First, I should have remembered that adage, never say never. Second, little did I know, and realize that I could use Moodle to create a better learning environment in my f2f classroom.

Overall, this has been an excellent experience. The time involved to do a good job with the assignments were well worth it! I learned AND I had a ton of fun while doing it!

Thank you to my classmates and John for this experience,
Sabrina

Moodle Final Reflection

During the 2010-2011 school year, I will use “Moodle” to support, enhance, and compliment my regular face-2-face classroom during the Space Science unit for grade 9 students.

Moodle will be used in the following specific ways:

1) In support of collaboration and community in a safe environment.

• Students will engage in introductory activities to promote classroom community.
• A quiz and wiki will help students explore their misconceptions about “Space”.

By understanding my students’ foundation for Space Science, I will have a better sense of where to focus our discussion topics and how to support groups in developing their projects. Providing group discussion opportunities gives students the chance to modify their own understandings, and dispel any preconceived myths.

2) As a course management system to aggregate information, resources, web sites, and groups through use of a single platform.

3) As a platform for students to discuss ideas and develop details of their projects.

• A venue for effective communication, brainstorming, and the collection of ideas among group members.
• “Learning beyond the classroom walls”: to share and create knowledge rather than simply acquire it.

4) As an integrated venue to build Wenger’s Community of Practice where “people share a concern or a passion for something they do and learn how to do it better as they interact regularly.” (Wenger, 1998)

FINAL MOODLE REFLECTION

Multimedia

Any combination of text, graphics, art, sound, animation, and video are considered multimedia. Often there are links and tools that allow the educator and/or the student to navigate, interact, and communicate with the computer.
Interactive Multimedia is the term used when the viewer is allowed to control what and when components of the presentation are delivered.Being a novice to technological applications in education, I feel that it is rather challenging to determine and understand how each element works together and how to apply these very same elements in a manner that has educational relevance.

I have found that YouTube has come a long way from simply staring at a computer screen. Here is an example of an interactive activity where users are encouraged to interact by clicking on links embedded within the videos.

COOL!!!

I also try to incorporate multimedia application in my Math lessons to allow opportunities for students to engage in activities that will solidify their knowledge.

Wiki Wiki

Wikis in education

As Paul Fuller was heard to say in his keynote address at the St Helena’s Catholic Primary School ICT day (2007), we live in an age of “Digital Natives” and “Digital Immigrants. Digital natives comprise of our young generation who have grown up with ICT surrounding them, while Digital Immigrants are the older generation, to include educators. To teach the digital natives, we need to talk in a language they understand. ICT is not the way of the future, it is here, now. Using wiki products, weblogs, and other Information Communication Technology engages students more because it is in “their language”, that of the digital natives.

Wikis are collaborative spaces that allows users to:

-read, add, edit text and files.
-add sound, movies, and links to websites.
-communicate asynchronously.
-create multimedia presentations.
-create simple digital stories.

Advantages of Wiki:

-Ease of use & low learning curve for students whom, let us be honest, are digital natives. I often marvel at the fact that they learn new technological applications so easily. Being that I had never used a wiki before, I found that it was quite easy to adapt to.
-Anyone can edit the wiki pages or you can regulate access.
-Keeps track of edits and it is easy to revert back to former versions.
-Promotes ‘real world’ collaboration, thus pooling the strength of many.
-fosters richer communication than synchronous communication…allows the user some ‘think time’.

Disadvantages of wiki:

-Internet related distractions…are students on task?
– Unless clear instructions are made detailing the purpose of the wiki, then too many students may create chaos on the wiki site.

IDEAS for Wikis in the classroom:

1)Classroom information wiki-
It can let students and parents know what we are up to in the class. We can upload newsletters and other important sheets in case they get ‘lost’ on their way home. Post student assignments, rubrics and other important information so that students can no longer give excuses for incomplete assignments.
2) Whole class projects where each student is responsible to create a set number of pages and they link these pages to class members work.
3) Group collaborative project
4) Organize an event.
5) Teach collaboration for lesson plans and worksheets.
6) Preventing plagerism?

References:

Fuller, P. (2007). Innovative ICT in the Classroom. Keynote address at ICT day at St Helena’s Catholic Primary School, Ellenbrook, Western Australia. Retrieved 3/9/07 from http://digitalgeneration.wikispaces.com/Creating+School+2.0

Anderson’s Attributes of Learning

Attributes of Learning in terms of being LEARNER-Centered

If we accept Einstein’s genius as different from that of Beethoven, then that would suggest the way each person stores and learns information is inherently different. The theory of Constructivism suggests that learners have unique schemas built from past experience; learners both subjectively and actively transform information by modifying their cognitive structures according to new understandings. Gaining information regarding student misconceptions and cultural backgrounds is especially important in differentiating the lesson to suite student needs.

Taking multiple courses online, I found that they all had one thing in common: a week was dedicated to introductions. This essentially acted as an ice-breaker and gave the learner time to familiarize themselves with the technology. Even more importantly, the forums allows, and in fact encourages participants to question and discuss. In this particular course, we all come from varying backgrounds of technology prowess and the ‘General Course Information’ and ‘E-Toolkit Query’ provide the opportunity to discuss concerns and give suggestions.

In my own Moodle course, I am working to create a Splash page dedicated to understanding my students. Along with the Ice-breaker, I will develop a quiz questioning student’s misconceptions regarding Space. I also included the Introductory Survey provided by Moodle that determines the what the learner values in an online learning experience. Finally, I scheduled an Chat for the first week of class so that students could meet!

The learning activities in technology-based environments play a fundamental role in determining learning outcomes. Kearsley (1997) believe that technology provides unique opportunities of engagement that may be challenging to achieve in other venues. Learners must be engaged and interested in the activity for learning to occur.

II. Knowledge-Centered

Knowledge Centered learning reflects upon the role of the teacher in setting the ‘course’ of learning. This generation of students can attain information with a mere tap of a button. Where many of us had to travel to libraries to learn about topics, now information can accessed in seconds. However, it is up to the teacher to provide scaffolding in order to guide students as they make meaningful connections. According to Anderson, knowledge is built when students, teachers, and community collaborate, in other words through a social network.

The courses I have taken online have all promoted collaboration. DELICIOUS, the social bookmarking tool, was used in my course and it helped us manage and share our resources. Therefore, when it comes to completing projects, we accessed information quickly and efficiently.

III. Assessment-Centered

I do find that my online-courses lack formative assessment from teachers while it is rich in student feedback. Before submitting an assignment, I feel often felt like it was a ‘one-shot deal’. I find this interesting as most of my courses discuss at length of the importance of building knowledge and providing feedback as benchmarks to developing knowledge.

When participating in my Teacher’s Education Program, we were on a Pass and Fail system. We were continually given feedback (both peer and teacher reviewed) and were not granted a Pass until the quality of our assignments were up to the standards. I miss this particular point with my online courses. I love getting to know my profs and asking them for advice and feedback. I feel less compelled to do so using an online venue. I feel like I am ‘bugging’ the teacher. Does anyone else feel this way?

IV. Community-Centered

I have certainly noticed a difference between distance learning and online learning in terms of time-constraints. I feel that there is less freedom with online learning. I took a distance learning course in Psychology and found that I was quite strong at pacing myself. A community-centered format adds a new dimension to my experience: GUILT. For example, this week I have been working at the after-school tutorial program until 5:00 every night, and then on to report cards. I was unable to take the time to log into the course. As a result I continually felt guilty and anxious, a feeling I never got with distance learning.

LMS Evaluation Rubric

Platform Evaluation Rubric

Group #4:

Sabrina Fonagy

Keely Switzer

David Wees

Kris Hancock

Ryan Edgar

Precis: 

The Royal Roads University’s MBA in Greater China is increasing its enrolment up to 2400 students per year (800 per term).  Unfortunately, the increased number of students in their distance education program using current technology has caused numerous server issues (ie: server’s been crashing).

LMS Evaluation Rubric

Criteria (Multiplier)

Poor

(1)

Unsatisfactory (2)

Satisfactory

(3)

Good

(4)

Excellent

(5)

Cost

(x1)

·     Product is out of budget range

·     Product is slightly out of budget range

·     Product meets the budget range

·     Product cost is below budget

·     Product is free

Usability-

Learning Curve

(x1)

·     Difficult to use

·     Not intuitive and many components are required to master.

·     “Help” website difficult to understand.

·     Some aspects of this LMS require considerable time to master

·     LMS platform can be mastered within a reasonable timeframe.

·     “Help” website provides solutions to most problem

·     Most aspects of LMS are simple and quick to master.

·     Little reference to manual or training material required.

·     Useful “Help” website

·     LMS is simple and quick to master.

·     Can use without manual or training.

·     Easy to use “Help” website.

Accessibility for Varied Learning Communities

(x1)

·     LMS platform does not support people of varying abilities

·     LMS platform is available in only one language

·     LMS does little to support people of varying abilities

·     Several adaptations & modifications are available to people who require additional support

·     LMS platform is available in more than one language

·     Some effective adaptations & modifications are incorporated into the LMS to promote accessibility for a varied learning community.

·     LMS platform is available in several languages

·     LMS platform supports varied learning communities.

Features

(x2)

·     Lacks significant useful “extra” features

·     No interactive tools, or available tools are difficult to use/integrate

·     Very few useful “extra” features

·     Basic social interaction tools are available

·     Integrating additional web 2.0 tools is time-consuming and sometimes not possible.  Integration is not smooth

·     Several ‘extra’ features

·     Some social tools are available, while others are available on line. 

·     Additional web 2.0 tools purchased can usually be integrated into the LMS

·     Many helpful ‘extra’ features

·     A variety of social interaction tools are embedded into the LMS for easy use

·     Additional web 2.0 tools purchased can be easily integrated into the LMS

Server Requirements (x1)

·     Unable to host on school server because of requirements

·     Able to host on school server but requires high degree of IT support

·     Able to host on school server but needs constant IT monitoring

·     Compatible with school server but requires IT support from time-to-time

·     Compatible with school server.

Reliability

(x2)

·     Frequent crashes

·     Incompatible with most operating systems and limited to certain versions

·     Periodic crashes

·     Compatibility with limited operating systems (and versions)

·     Crashes are infrequent

·     Compatible with limited operating systems (and versions)

·     Crashes are rare

·     Compatible with several operating systems (and versions)

·     Crashes are rare

·     Compatible with most, if not all, operating systems (and versions)

Technical

Support

(x1)

·     No technical support provided

·     Little technical support provided and is very slow to respond

·     Technical support is available but often slow to respond

·     Technical support is provided and response time is tolerable

·     Technical support provided and response is immediate

Articulation:

As a group, we negotiated the criteria for evaluating a Learner Management System (LMS).  We based our decisions on the needs of Royal Roads, our own expectations of an LMS, and pertinent course readings.  In light of the multiple server crashes and recent enrollment spike, we felt Royal Roads would be most concerned with server requirements, reliability, and technical support.  In addition to these categories, we also saw a need to look at the accessibility of an LMS, particularly with respect to multiple language capabilities.  In our own contexts cost is always an issue, and even if money is not a primary concern for the developers at Royal Roads, the cost of the system will most likely still be a factor in the decision-making process.  The SECTIONS model (Bates & Poole, 2003) seems to support the categories we chose to focus on.  The SECTIONS model can be applied to any educational context, and the answers depend on the context (Bates and Poole, 2003).  It is our hope that the rubric can be used to evaluate all LMSs, and the answers created in context will enable the school to choose the best LMS for them.  The multiplier system used in the rubric, in which we applied greater value to certain criteria, can be modified by a school to better suit the needs of that school.  Royal Roads, for example, may choose to apply the greatest weight to accessibility and reliability, while assigning a lesser value to cost.  Our rubric was intentionally designed to be customizable in order to help schools with a variety of different needs find an LMS that works for them.

References:

Bates, A.W. & Poole, G. (2003). Chapter 4: A Framework for Selecting and Using Technology. In Effective Teaching with Technology in Higher Education: Foundations for Success. (pp. 77-105). San Francisco: Jossey Bass Publishers.

Moodle Musings I

INITIAL THOUGHTS

My first introduction to Moodle was relatively easy, though initially I was quite panicked. I thought the written instructions provided on the E-Learning Toolkit was very detailed and straight forward. I did not find that any of part of the instruction was cumbersome.

However, there seems to be a lot more to know and understand on Moodle.

My favorite part to Moodle is all the activities one can associate with their online course. I also like the fact that it is user-friendly and open sourced.

A Matter of Perspective

It is interesting to reflect that I used to be the epitome of a technophobe. It was a great shock to my system, when I was approached by the head of the Professional Development Committee. He asked me to create a course for teachers on how to incorporate Web 2.0 tools into the classroom.

I thought to myself, what the heck is Web 2.0?

Without thinking, I agreed.

At the time I would have defined my current practice of Facilitating and Inspiring student learning and creativity using technology (NETS, 2008) as dismally poor.

Regardless, I could not say ‘no’. I had a terrible, crippling fear of technology. I had to change by perspective and this was the only way to do it!

Though I was only one page ahead of my fellow colleagues, I became inspired to apply my new understanding and skills into my classroom. My students learned to collaborate on lab write-ups through ‘google’ documents. As a class, we created wikis that explored particular problems in Mathematics. Students summarized their investigation in Space Science by developing and presenting their own WebPages.  I began to organize my videos and websites on delicious. My overhead was discarded, and I used PowerPoint presentations and Smart Board applications as platforms for my lessons.

However,  even with my limited experience, I still feel anxious when it comes to technology. How does one keep up? I can never obtain absolute mastery on an ‘entity’ that is continuously mutating and evolving. Again, I had to change my perspective, and embrace the idea that I would never master technology, rather I would try to keep up with its pace, never allowing technology to master me.

There are a number of areas where I certainly need to improve. I do feel that I should focus on promoting and modeling digital citizenship and responsibility (NETS, 2008). I am particularly interested in educating students on the harmful effects of cyber bullying and the dangers that can be associated with global communication.

I am very aware of the fact that in the coming years I will encounter new learning technologies.  How do I learn to critically evaluate these technologies so that its application will benefit my students and my teaching practices?

ETEC 565 Goals:

By the very nature of the Masters of Education and Technology program, I do believe that I am engaging in professional growth and leadership (is that cheating to incorporate the course as a check for the NETS 2008 platform?)… Ha ha ha!

Through my school district I created taped online tutorials for grade 9 mathematics. Students are given a password and username to access my tapings. The web instruction is useful for those students whom are absent from class. I am hopeful that this course will offer ideas on how to use technologies that incorporate the philosophy of constructivism. Currently, my online tapings model a ‘stand and deliver’ approach to teaching.

Considering I had to ‘google’ the meaning of ‘learning management systems’, it is obvious that I still have a lot to learn. As a novice in looking forward to becoming more technologically savvy- for now.

Reference:

National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers. 

Retrieved May 4, 2009 from:

http://www.iste.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=NETS

TIDBITS

When I graduated from UBC in Chemistry, I had the pleasure of teaching in Korea from 2001-2004. There, I taught ESL to Kindergarten and Elementary students. Through this amazing experience, I realized that I do in fact want to go into teaching so I completed the UBC Secondary Education Program in 2005.

I was very fortunate to get a job at SD72 in Southgate Middle School teaching Math and Science grade 9. I have been doing just that for the past four years.

Generally speaking, I do try to incorporate a variety of technologies in my teaching practice. The goal, always being , that I utilize this technology in a manner which is meaningful to students. I recently completed an Online Tutorial Site with a colleague through Mediasite which focuses on Algebra, Polynomials, Geometry, and Exponents (Grade 9 Math). Students can log onto the site to watch a lesson on eighty-five subtopics.

What I discovered through teaching is that there are multitude of learning styles within the classroom and I do find it a challenge to tap into all of them (how many are there?). I am hoping that this course helps organize my thoughts regarding learning styles and the incorporation of technology.

ETEC 565 Blog