FLIGHT PATH

Learning to Fly

Brace yourself for takeoff, this flight may be turbulent!

To state that I have a fear of flying, is putting it mildly. It is the complete loss of control that is the root of my angst; unfortunately, it is this same feeling I get when I learn of the myriad of new technological advances or applications in education! My question is this: “Where is the time for discovering how to effectively implement these new tools?”

Technology does not present an imminent annihilation of classroom-based teaching. I believe that the key to connecting with kids is to have face-to-face, personalized contact. Technology can certainly enhance and personalize any classroom experience. The question of how to effectively engage students using technological advances while remaining cognizant of the fact that, in teaching, time is always of the essence, is the root cause of my discomfort.

My interest in this course originates with the UBC Education program where I was first introduced to the concept of ‘constructivism’. Immediately I could identify with the idea that the teacher should act as a guide for student learning. The ‘stand and deliver approach’ was a style I was used to as a student and it was refreshing to be introduced to a philosophy celebrating my own inclinations (Barr, 1990):   

a)  All students are individuals with specific needs and unique backgrounds.

b)  Knowledge acquisition is dependent on the learner’s web of experiences.
c)  Students should take an active role in their own learning.

Traditionally, there is minimal technological training in teacher preparation, but I am noticing an emerging interest amongst my colleagues.  I enrolled in the MET program in hopes of understanding the complex role of technology in education.

The most valuable resource I need to master these technologies is time. In my district, there seems to be a positive shift from content focus to an emphasis on how best to support and enable student learning. More frequently, Professional Development courses are being offered to expose teachers to emerging technologies.

I truly believe that, when used appropriately, assessment practices, social and multi-media systems, and synchronized communication will ultimately save valuable classroom time. Currently I use e-mail, projectors and interactive websites in my Science and Math classroom. I look forward to consolidating my current practice with new Web 2.0 applications, and to further inspire my students to think critically rather than regurgitate knowledge. With new skills, I hope to develop digital-age learning experiences for my students.

Goal #1: Collaborative Learning

The heart of collaborative learning is social media which allows for a one-world collusion and the sharing of resources such as Weblogs, Wikis, and social bookmarking. The potential to expose students to different cultures, opinions and processes through social media is astronomical!

Goal #2: Understanding the potential of LMS

Right now, I cannot comprehend the full potential of Learning Management Systems such as “Moodle” in my teaching practice. It is my basic understanding that “Moodle” allows student collaboration in a variety of different ways, and it’s especially effective for use of students with the technological capabilities to be classified as ‘independent users’.

My flight path is sure to be a bumpy one! Once the turbulence subsides however, I hope to develop of clearer vision of what the digital age has to offer my classroom.

Barr, David. (1990). A solution in search of a problem: the role of technology in educational reform. Journal for the Education of the Gifted, 14, 79-95.