Communication Tools

Asynchronous and Synchronous Communications

Purpose:

I believe an online virtual classroom offers a variety of communication devices to improve students’ sense of community and collaboration. During the 2010-2011 school year, I will use “Moodle” to support, enhance, and compliment my regular classroom during the Space Science unit of grade nine Science.

Students will be arranged in groups of four to become experts on an assigned Space topic, and will collaborate to create a Google website on their specified unit of study. Once the site is complete, the student group will teach their topic to the class. Moodle will be used in the following specific ways:

1) In support of collaboration and community in a safe environment.
• Students will engage in introductory activities to promote classroom community.
• A quiz and wiki will help students explore their misconceptions about “Space”.

By understanding my students’ foundation for Space Science, I will have a better sense of where to focus our discussion topics and how to support groups in developing their projects. Providing group discussion opportunities gives students the chance to modify their own understandings, and dispel any preconceived myths. (Clough and Robinson, 1985)

2) As a course management system to aggregate information, resources, web sites, and groups through use of a single platform.

3) As a platform for students to discuss ideas and develop details of their projects.
• A venue for effective communication, brainstorming, and the collection of ideas among group members.
• “Learning beyond the classroom walls”: to share and create knowledge rather than simply acquire it.

4) As an integrated venue to build Wenger’s Community of Practice where “people share a concern or a passion for something they do and learn how to do it better as they interact regularly.” (Wenger, 1998)

Based on the needs of my students and the project requirements, I have chosen the following communication tools: Discussion Forums (Asynchronized Communication); Wikis (Asynchronized Communication); and Chat Rooms (Synchronized Communication).

Pedagogy:

The purpose of implementing technology devices for communication into my virtual classroom is to promote the sharing of ideas and to provide a platform where all students can actively participate in the learning. Chickering and Ehrmann (1996) eloquently state:

“Learning is enhanced when it is more like a team effort than a solo race. Good learning, like good work, is collaborative and social, not competitive and isolated. Working with others often increases involvement in learning. Sharing one’s ideas and responding to others’ improves thinking and deepens understanding.”

In any classroom there are those students who feel comfortable contributing to open discussions; however, for any number of reasons, many other students are left behind without a voice! A quiet disposition or the very real fear of failure, can silence those who would otherwise make valuable contributions. Providing venues to maximize student-student and teacher-student contact is imperative in building a strong community of learners, and virtual platforms for communication (where students can distance themselves from stresses associated with face-to-face discussion) will help me to develop stronger relationships with kids who often would not have felt free to participate. (Chickering & Ehrmann, 1996)

Asynchronous tools support communication, collaboration and interaction. Students are not passive receptors of information; they are inherently social, and can make good use of social media to create and share information. Subsequently, the viewer of this information can then morph or compliment the content. Asynchronous tools allow users time to reflect upon their response before posting allowing greater opportunity for higher order thinking and development. (Herrington & Oliver, 1997b)

Synchronous tools support communication in real-time; requiring all parties to be present. It is a venue that allows for the quick collection of thoughts and ideas, and instant planning of presentation.

By choosing appropriate communication tools, students become active members of their own learning; more inquisitive and self-reflective.

Whether synchronous or asynchronous tools are used, teacher input and guidance will be ever-present. Clear expectations of proper “virtual medium conduct” will allow students to learn about web etiquette — an important social skill that, I believe, may eventually be fused into BC learning outcomes.

Asynchronous Communication

Synchrounous Communication

Reflections:

Creating various modes of communication is an invitation for students to collaborate, thereby promoting motivation, collaboration of ideas, and general involvement. (Chickering & Ehrmann, 1996) When choosing the venues for this project I had to ask myself the following questions:
• Which venues will promote higher level critical thinking skills?
• Which technologies ensure that I will be able to track student involvement and collaboration?
Choosing the communicative applications was straightforward; now, I must spend time developing their uses to create a fully functioning support system for my students!

Anderson, T. (2008). Teaching in an Online Learning Context. In: Anderson, T. & Elloumi, F. Theory and Practice of Online Learning. Athabasca University. Accessed online 19 June 2009
http://www.aupress.ca/books/120146/ebook/14_Anderson_2008_Anderson-DeliveryQualitySupport.pdf

Burnett, C. (2003). Learning to Chat: tutor participation in synchronous online chat. Teaching in Higher Education, 8(2), 247.

Chickering, A.W. & Ehrmann, S.C. (1996). Implementing the Seven Principles: Technology as Lever. American Association for Higher Education Bulletin, 49(2), 3-6. Accessed online 20 June 2009
http://www.aahea.org/bulletins/articles/sevenprinciples.htm

Clough, E. & Robinson, C. (1985) “How Secondary Students Interpret Instances of Biological Adaptation.” Journal of Biology Education, 19, 125-130.

Herrington, J. & Oliver, R. (1997b). Avenues to understanding: A qualitative study into how students learn from multimedia. In T. Muldner & T. Reeves, (Eds.), Educational Multimedia/Hypermedia and Telecommunications 1997, (pp 473-478). Charlottesville, VA: AACE.

Wenger, Etienne (1998) ‘Communities of Practice. Learning as a social system’, Systems Thinker, http://www.co-i-l.com/coil/knowledge-garden/cop/lss.shtml. Accessed December 30, 2002.