Pedagogy

There is always the question of whether the technology being used is simply another vehicle for curriculum delivery or is there a fundamental, pedagological difference in an online environment? If a digital story assignment is thoughtfully prepared and delivered, then the technology is not just another form of delivery, but rather a springboard for creativity.

Let us focus on Math education. Educators ultimately rely on assessment to determine the level of a student understands. All too often a single examination is administered at the end of a unit, a grade is given, and this becomes the conclusion of the educative process! Unfortunately, it appears that students are not learning to the full extent of their potentials. This brings to light questions about the methods used to help individual students make the most of their learning experience. I notice within my own classroom, the propensity for allowing high-stakes, standardized testing to dictate how I approach my teaching. To use a single exam as a definitive measure of student learning is flawed.

Teo (2003) states that for learning to occur in an online environment, there must be “opportunities for reflection, active construction of knowledge, and a means of social interaction and collaboration.” In my opinion, this is in line with Constructivism, a theory about how knowledge is processed. Constructivists refute the traditional assumption that knowledge is an “outside entity”, fed to us like food from birth. Rather, the Constructivist theory asserts that knowledge is made or “constructed” based on a pre-existing web of information and personal beliefs. Constructivists honor the assessment of authentic tasks (Shoen et al. 1999). Assessment should be on-going and interactive, where the students are invited to reflect upon their own individual progress, and not limited to a single expulsion of information. Using digital story is but one way to allow students to showcase their understanding of math concepts.

Could digital stories be used as an authentic formative assessment in mathematics? I don’t know, but I am keen to see its potential. Our grade 8 curriculum as morphed towards understanding the concepts rather than rote memory. I could use digital storytelling in my Math class in the following ways:

– A student introduction to their math strengths and fears- “The Mathematical Side of Me!”

– Summarize new math vocabulary.

– Model fractions, percentages, geometric figures and show how they are linked to the real world.

– Use digital stories as a reflective piece.

– students teach a mini-lesson and have them summarize through digitial storytelling.

Having students create digital stories follows ‘good practices’ as highlighted in Chickering and Gamson’s (1987) framework; this creative process enhances the educational environment by ‘respecting diverse talents and ways of learning’. Creating a well- thought-out digital story will invariably enable students to gain proficiency in reading, writing, research, visual literacy, critical thinking, and collaboration. The Center for Digital Story Telling (2005) is known for developing the Seven Elements of Digital Storytelling which is often cited as a starting point to begin work in this venue.

The Seven Elements of Digital Storytelling

(7 things every digital storyteller must consider) 

1. Point of View

· What is the perspective of the author?

Requiring students to research a particular topic and then pick a point of view can serve to capitalize on student creativity. As students analyze and synthesize information to support their own perspectives, motivation will undoubtedly increase. Using their own creativity to organize information and present a unique story, provides a very personal impetus for student learning.

2. A Dramatic Question

· A question that will be answered by the end of the story.

3. Emotional Content

· Serious issues that speak to us in a personal and powerful way.

4. The Gift of your Voice

· A way to personalize the story to help the audience understand the context.

5. The Power of the Soundtrack

· Music or other sounds that support the storyline.

6. Economy

· Using just enough content to tell the story without overloading the viewer/listener with too much information J

7. Pacing

· Specifically deals with how slowly or quickly the story progresses.

In a 2005 interview, Jason Ohler (Professor of Educational Technology and International Educational Speaker) describes how, with the use of digital storytelling, ‘we are in between two very powerful models: storytelling, with its powerful ability to engage and teach students, and critical thinking, with its ability to turn students into thinking, reflective people, consumers, voters’ … and that by blending the two, we can offer a ‘powerful pedagogy’. After presenting their digital story, and viewing their peers’, critiquing their own work and that of others helps students to gain confidence in their own abilities, and promotes social learning. By adding a group component, students are further introduced to collaborative brainstorming, designing, and executing of the digital story.

Ohler, an advocate of educational technology, shares a philosophy of Digital Storytelling which follows the DAOW of literacy,

D is for Digital:

· Ohler contends that it is imperative for students to use digital technology as a platform amplifying their own creativity while teaching critical evaluation of that technology. Through their creations, students learn how digital media lends itself to give a voice by expression while powerfully conveying a message. The final product has the ability to change, morph, and inspire others.

A is for Art:

· Art is a form of expression that when blended with technology and writing, weaves itself a place in learning. Understanding the appropriate use of art within presentations helps to send out a powerful message.

O is for oral storytelling:

· “Good teaching is good storytelling”.

W is for writing:

· The organization and planning of digital stories first occurs in written format. I had to plan out the sequence of my words along with the appropriate pictures. I felt as though I was creating a play, directing the music, words, and images to become synchronized.

All four parameters combine to form a cohesive teaching and learning tool.

It is true that Stories Define Us. Every individual has his own story to tell, and we all gravitate toward a good storyteller! In my professional opinion, allowing students to explore their innate ability to share their stories, their understandings and their learning with others can do nothing but improve the educational experience! I am excited to fully incorporate Digital Storytelling with my Middle School Math and Science classroom.

Bates & Poole. (2003). “A Framework for Selecting and Using Technology.” In Effective Teaching with Technology. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

Center for Digital Storytelling Website (2005)

http://www.storycenter.org/history.html

National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers. Retrieved July 14, 2009 from: http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_for

Ohler, J 2005, Agency for instructional technology eZine, Featured interview, Vol 2, No 10, November 2005

Ohler, J 2006, Digital and traditional storytelling; workshop information and public resource

Teo, S. (2003). Towards a total learning environment for the distanced adult learner. World Conference on E-Learning in Corp., Govt., Health, & Higher Ed. 2003(1), 1213-1216.