My Next Steps…

To say that I felt slight trepidation when first embarking on this course is putting it mildly! However, the flight was not as bumpy as first imagined, and my fear quickly subsided to feelings of fulfillment (and yes, even fun!). I have not only explored interesting theories, but I have also put said theories to practice. I am inspired to imagine how I could use some of these technological applications in my own classroom. With my new knowledge and skill, technology will not simply be used for the sake of using it, rather, it will serve as a platform upon which learning is supported.

Time does not now seem as much of a looming factor as it initially did. The reason for my change in perspective is that I enjoyed learning and then applying my knowledge to hands on activities, where I could see the theories put into action. For technology to truly support learning, it needs to be an interactive, hands-on experience; not simply reading, listening, and typing! Technology must stimulate critical thought; pushing kids beyond their comfort zones.

In retrospect, in the 2008/2009 school year I had the computer and the projector in my classroom, but I could have made much better use of them. Upon reflection, I would define my practice of “Facilitating and Inspiring student learning and creativity using technology” (NETS 2008) as falling in the budding stages of development category.

During the last few months of the school year, my students learned to collaborate on lab write-ups through Google documents. As a class, we created Wikis that explored particular problems in Mathematics. Students summarized their investigations in Space Science by developing and presenting their own WebPages. I began to organize my videos and websites on delicious. My overhead was discarded, and I used PowerPoint presentations and Smart Board applications as platforms for my lessons. All of these developments occurred within the timeframe of the ETEC 565 course. So yes, we could say I have been inspired!

I have concluded that, although I will never obtain absolute mastery of an ‘entity’ that is continuously mutating and evolving (as technology does), I can now embrace the idea of “keeping pace”, never allowing technology to master me. In that light, from the Seven Principles for Good Practice (Chickering & Gamson, 1987), two resonate the most and will serve to guide my future direction.

1) Encourages contacts between students and faculty

Chickering and Gamson (1987) wrote that, according to decades of educational research, “frequent student-faculty contact in and out of classes is the most important factor in student motivation and involvement. Faculty concern helps students get through rough times and keep on working. Knowing a few faculty members well enhances students’ intellectual commitment and encourages them to think about their own values and future plans.”

Each year, the first letter I send home asks parents one question: In a million words or less, e-mail me about your child. As a result, my first letter provides a glimpse into the lives of my students. What normally would take me a few months to learn, I can quickly discover — their dislikes and likes, their fears and hopes, their perceived strengths and weaknesses. After the initial e-mail, I maintain this form of communication throughout the year.
Though e-mail is an excellent form of communication, through ETEC 565 I learned of additional forms of communication I will explore with my students.

• Electronic Journaling. Students could write a reflective Blog discussing their fears, concerns, and joys in Math education.
• Create a discussion thread through Moodle where students can reflect and contribute thoughts.
• Encourage the creation of digital storytelling as a way of introducing themselves to me and the class, or in fact, as a way to present any specific topic in our course.

2) Communicates high expectations

One topic in particular which I discuss regularly with my students is my own high expectations. I find that if I consistently expect greatness from each of my students, they rise to the challenge! It is very important to show students that it is fun to gain knowledge in both Math and Science. As well, it is essential that students learn to take responsibility in their own learning. I believe that I could use technology more to promote my goals.

• I could actively use the World Wide Web to publish and evaluate student work. If parents were able to view their children’s accomplishment via the internet, I believe that it would strengthen parent-teacher-student involvement. Also, there are a number of ways to use the internet to self and peer-evaluate and discuss student accomplishments.
• A scoring rubric for every assignment, examined and discussed in class at the time the assignment is given as well as posted online for students to refer to anytime, is key to clear expectations.
• Posting materials online improves my ability to hold the students accountable (for receiving assignments, handouts, etc.)

I am fully aware of the fact that in the coming years I will encounter new learning technologies. I feel pleased that I am armed with the knowledge of how to evaluate these technologies by applying SECTIONS (Bates & Poole, 2003). I have used these criteria in evaluation of my own work for ETEC 565, and find that I like the clear results. Technology can and will be used in my classroom to promote the development and enhance the learning of all of my students.

Why should we care?

Let’s take a look at our digital natives and remember that boredom is like a disease. This disease, if not treated, continues to fester inside the student until either they aggress or regress. It is a detrimental set back to learning. This disease is not only contained in the individual, but it spreads, infecting others. Technology, applied in the appropriate manner, can serve to motivate and connect with our youth; hopefully becoming a remedy for boredom.

Yes my flight has not been without a few bumps! I have however, modified the flight path to a more inclusive goal, and I have embraced the idea of incorporating my LMS into my face-2-face program. I have learned that life is all a matter of perspective!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA[/youtube]

Bates, A.W. & Poole, G. (2003). Chapter 4: A Framework for Selecting and Using Technology. In Effective Teaching with Technology in Higher Education: Foundations for Success. (pp. 77-105). San Francisco: Jossey Bass Publishers.

Chickering, A. W., & Gamson, Z.F. (1987). Seven principles for good practice in undergraduate education. American Association for Higher Education Bulletin, 49(2), 3-6. Accessed Online 15, May, 2009 from http://www.aahea.org/bulletins/articles/sevenprinciples1987.htm

National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers. Retrieved July 26, 2009 from: http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_for_Teachers_2008.htm

Website:

Wenger, Etienne. “Communities of practice.” Etienne Wenger home page. 27 July 2009 <http://www.ewenger.com/theory