Can code/coding be itself subject to copyright? The answer to that question has broad implications for the unfolding of new technologies. With the binary code that underlies the infrastructure of modernity- for which presently, only a select few are able to understand, decode, or debug, the code that is used to regulate transactions of daily functions progressively moving, from desktops to portables, tablets and mobile devices- is there also a need to further define, that which is subject to copyright protection at the level of APIs running our mobile devices? The US Court of Appeal apparently thinks so; in a recent decision adjudicating competing claims by Oracle and Google. with Oracle alleging that the Android mobile operating system violated seven different Java patents. even though Judge William Alsup of the U.S. District Court had ruled differently, in 2012.
- MA Defence: Vicente Regis, 10:00 am, Tuesday September 13, 2022
- STEM Education in Canada
- Charlene Chong, #UBC MA Defence: Sexuality Education and Socialization for British Columbia’s Youth and the Increasingly Influential Role of Social Media: For Better or Worse?
- Stella Maris Namae, #UBC PhD Defence: Status and Use of Information Communication Technology in Uganda Secondary Schools: Teachers’ Competencies, Challenges, Dispositions, and Perceptions
- David Wray, #UBC MA Defence: Message Me when You Land: Tourism and Hospitality Students’ Distance Relationships with Friends, Family, and Devices
- Rachel Ralph’s PhD Defence: Sharing is Caring: Prosocial Behaviours, Theory of Mind, and Media and Technology in Early Childhood Education on
- New Youth Studies Graduate Program at Calgary on
- Kesiena Chris-Iwuru #UBC MA Defence: Youth Perspectives on #Cyberbullying and Social Media Platforms #bced on
- Treasure Trove for BC Women’s History on
- Internet Researcher 8.0: Let's play on
September 2022 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
TrendingAlumni API Bots Canadian case studies code Commander copyright Culture cybernetics daily David Bowie debug decode Digital Humanities Digitization education expired few Gaming Gender Google HWL HWL Team informatics joint knowledge generation Literacies media Media Studies modernity odyssey permission popular culture publishing regulate research STEM STS technologies Technology Studies transactions understand Youth Youtube