$6500 in 1909, 2009

My car was getting difficult to drive, more specifically it was taking Herculean effort to turn the wheel. Thinking that the power steering fluid might be low, I drive to visit the trusty Mini-Mechanics (Mini is particular about its fluids, you can’t just use the Canadian Tire brand). Six hours and a **whopping** $6500 later…. and my wee car is whistling like new again. Power steering failure was diagnosed by the Mini-doctors, who only operate using brand new parts to repair the offending malfunction, refusing to patch the problem. Both the power steering rack and the power steering motor-pump are just shy of $2000 EACH and there were other apparently rusty parts that needed to be replaced in order to put my car back together. Hip hip hoooooooooray for warranty!! 

A bit of internet research finds that 100 years ago I could have bought 5.5 cars for $6500 or 1000 quarts of milk or 1000+ loaves of bread. However, at an average income of $637 per year (or $53 per month), I would most likely be walking.

Interesting statistics from one century ago: 

• Total vehicle production in the U.S. is 4,192
  • Top speed for new cars is 8 mph. Gasoline fuel efficiency is 35 mpg
  • Total vehicle registration is 8,000. There are 10 miles of paved roads
  • In 1900, 115 auto deaths – 96 lynchings
  • Theft is a problem, even in the early days, so the Leach Motor Carriage has a removable steering lever – an early anti-theft device
  • Avg. Income (US)………………………………………… $637/year
  • New Home (Median Price)…………………………….. $2,225
  • New Car (Avg. Cost)……………………………………. $1,168
  • Milk (Qt)…………………………………………………… $0.07
  • Bread (Loaf)………………………………………………. $0.04

I don’t have a pic of my Cooper, which is most certainly NOT red (that would clash with my hair 😉 so here is a more interesting Mini XXL Luxury Limo for you to gaze upon, complete with a pool in the rear.

//PJ