Rigoberto Miranda Felix

Mechanical Engineering 2020

Thermofluids Option

A little bit about me…
My friends call me Rigo and I’m a pretty chill guy. I’m into strength training, sci-fi movies, and forgetting my umbrella when it rains.  I transferred into the MECH2 program from Capilano University at the beginning of my second year, so I understand what it’s like to be a transfer student.  I’m in Co-op and the Thermofluids specialization of the MECH program.

I wish I had known before I came…
How to cook properly.  It’s all fun and games until you walk into your 8am midterm running on instant noodles and PB&J sandwiches for the 3rd straight week.  On top of that, someone pulled the fire alarm at your dorm 4 times in the middle of the night. So now you’re looking down at your midterm scared, sleep deprived, and malnourished. Wouldn’t you rather be just scared and sleep deprived?

I chose mechanical engineering because…,

I like building things and knowing how/why they work.  I’m also really interested in the energy industry. With this in mind Mechanical Engineering seemed like the right choice, and so far it turns out I was right.

Mechanical engineering at UBC in one word…   
8am-courses-every-day.

What I like best about my program…

How broad the Mechanical Engineering program is and how you can tailor it to what you’re personally interested in.  The specialization options within the program give you a broad range to choose from.

Outside the classroom, I am involved with…

• Dragonboating
  • Strength Training (Birdcoop early morning crew checking in)
  • Club Mech (Publicity Representative)
  • Mech Student Services Office

Favourite moment/memory so far…
Probably the MECH2 design challenge.  There’s no greater feeling than when all of the time and effort you put into designing and building something pays off.

Articles

Acing Finals – A Video Guide

Busy As Usual – The Third Year Shuffle

Reflecting Back On The Semester

Finding a Summer Co-op Job