Unit 1 Reflection

Page

Hello everyone,

I would like to share my thoughts on unit one of our technical writing course through this reflection blog. Unit one’s assignment presented the idea of studying and practicing writing technique for definitions. I will be reflecting on my writing process, peer reviewing and editing process.

For the writing process (definition assignment), I was required to select a relatively complex term I use within my profession. I chose to write on pit and fissure sealants for my audience of “non-technical readers”. Pit and fissure sealant is a type of dental procedure often recommended to young children and adults who is at high risk of developing pit and fissure cavities. Even though the procedure is common, not many people know about it in detail and why it is recommended. Selected term was explained through parenthetical, sentence and expanded definitions. Furthermore, I used a visual to give a clear picture of before and after procedure of pit and fissure sealant to my audience. Atleast three sources were used to reference the work of this assignment.

Second step of this assignment was peer reviewing process, which I thought was very helpful. I had an opportunity to pair up with Yury Zhuk to review our assignments. Reviewing each other’s work was infact very interesting and thought provoking. We were to carefully review the ouverall assignment and consider our partner’s writing technique and strategies. After analyzing the document, I highlighted strengths and weaknesses of the paper. Positive feedback along with constructive recommendation was given to Yury for editing.

Final stage of the assignment involved editing process from the feedback I received from Yury. English not being my first language, I often catch myself making grammatical errors. Yury was easily able to point out those errors for me and provide constructive feedback. As per Yury’s feedback, I was able to communicate using proper headings and descriptions in a logical and effective manner. For an audience like Yury who is not familiar with the term, I am pleased to say that I used enough content and appropriate structure for this assignment.

This assignment made me reflect on my writing for this course, and also learned to review and provide feedback to our peer’s assignment.

Link to: Revised Definition of Pit and Fissure Sealant

Link to: Peer Review of Definition (Pit and Fissure Sealant)