Mental Health Correspondents

Ancient Chakras and Today’s Health

I have recently read a book called Anatomy of the Spirit, and I wanted to share some of its ideas and their relation to Mental Health. A medical intuitive called Caroline Myss wrote the book.

In the book, Myss talks about the 7 chakras, how they form an energy system in the body, and how we can use their locations and correlations to understand and heal ourselves. The book is filled with interesting stories that really got me to wonder about the degree of validity behind the concepts and ideas mentioned. Or put differently, what today’s science had to say about it.

The seven chakras are known in eastern ancient cultures as energy centers that represent physical emotional mental and spiritual well being. The book goes through each chakra, its representation, and how lack or dissipation of energy from a certain chakra can cause a physical manifestation of an illness in that area of the body.

When it comes to healing, it is said that the entire energy system of chakras needs to be evaluated to achieve a fuller sense of vitality and well being.

Being very intrigued by this, I was eager to search for any science work related to chakras and healing. And I found an interesting article about the use of electrophotonic analysis to measure the bio-energy of living organisms. A professor at ITMO University in Russia developed a device called the GDV, which can highlight potential health (physiological and psycho-emotional) abnormalities. The device can produce energy field images similar to what a diagram of the chakras would look like. The alignment of the energy centers could be correlated to the well being of the individual being studied.

From the energy field images, it was seen that places that lacked emission or had reduced emission corresponded to unhealthy individuals, while healthy individuals had a much fuller energy field. I found it super interesting to think that consciousness can be very closely related to our physical health, which leads me to wonder if physical and mental health are actually inseparable.   

Written by Maryam Assadeq

Myss, Caroline, Anatomy of the Spirit. New York: Harmony Books, 1996.

Walia, Arjon. “Scientists Quantify and Graphically Chart Alignment of Human Chakras in Various Emotional States.” Collective-evolution. Web. 15 Mar. 2014.