All UBC postdocs and research associates are encouraged to attend the virtual UBC PDA Annual General Meeting (AGM) in March for the elections (date TBD).
At the AGM we will review the year 2021-2022 and talk about PDA operations. Importantly, there will be the opportunity for attendees to learn more about the PDA and to network with other postdocs .
The PDA is run by Elected Volunteer Officers (the President and 6 Vice-Presidents). All 7 positions will be elected for the 2022-2023 year at the AGM. A list of open positions and a description of their roles can be found below.
You want to join the PDA, but are not ready to become an elected officer? No problem! We are always looking for new members to help us organize our events and provide new ideas! Just get in touch with us via e-mail and get a feel for what we do by joining our next meeting.
Why you should join the UBC PDA:
– Represent the postdoc community
– Gain leadership and management experience
– Organize professional development, research and networking events
– Interact with big-name academics, advocates, and UBC leadership
How to submit a nomination
To indicate your interest in running for an officer position, please first fill out the registration form (to receive the zoom link). Then download a copy of the nomination form, which can be found here, and e-mail us (firstname.lastname@example.org) your nomination form, as well as a recent headshot and a short (100-200 word) statement of why you are interested in running for the position and what your goals for that position are. (For technical reasons, please download a copy of the registration form and e-mail it to us rather than filling it out immediately after opening).
All Officer positions are open for election. Interested PDA members are also welcome to join the PDA executive as non-elected Committee Members at this (or any other) time. See below for more info on the available positions:
- VP Operations
- VP External
- VP Communications
- VP Social
- VP Finance
- VP Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Committee Members (non-elected)
The UBC PDA President shall:
Act as the public face of the PDA to:
- Speak on behalf of the PDA at the Postdoctoral Fellows Office’s orientation for new postdocs and wherever appropriate
- Understand the needs of PDA members and ensure equal representation across departments
Be responsible for meetings of the PDA Executive members to:
- Set up regular PDA meetings (via doodle poll) and arrange virtual meetings/ a suitable venue on or off campus
- Chair and set the agenda for meetings
- Ensure proper operation of the meetings
- Take minutes at meetings, or designate a member to do so
- Manage copies of the minutes, agendas, and any other materials
Be responsible for the execution of decisions by the PDA Executives
Lead the Annual General Meeting and PDA Elections
Work together with the VP-Communications to:
- Direct content for communication to members of the UBC postdoc community
- Manage and update the website
- Respond to emails
- Direct the advertisement of PDA events.
Work together with the VP-External to:
- Collaborate and communicate with the Canadian Association of Postdoctoral Scholars
- Raise awareness of postdoctoral issues and find avenues of support
- Organize career-focused events for postdocs
Work together with the VP-Social to create a calendar of social events and ensure a broad outreach.
Work together with the VP-Operations to:
- Liaise effectively with the UBC Postdoctoral Fellows Office and Dean’s Office
- Represent the PDA during meetings with UBC faculty, staff and administrators
- Coordinate the Executive Members of the PDA
- Organize the annual Postdoc Research Day
Work together with the VP-Finance to:
- Ensure responsible stewardship over the annual budget when planning events
- Be aware of revenue outflow and inflow
Work together with the VP-External and all elected and non-elected PDA executive members to ensure that the PDA’s advocacy agenda is driven forward and communicated to the appropriate representatives of the UBC administration. The advocacy/ outreach includes (but is not limited to) an Equity, Diversity & Inclusion agenda, as well as a discussion about working conditions for postdocs and concerns that postdocs face
**President and/or VP-External may have the opportunity to attend the annual CAPA/CAPS Meeting or the CSPC meeting. Currently, the President is the postdoctoral representative on a UBC wide EDI committee that is running till 2022.
The UBC PDA VP-Operations shall:
- Organize professional development activities for postdocs together with the VP-External, President and the whole executive team.
- The VP-Operations is in the lead of organizing non-social UBC PDA events for postdocs (such as the annual Postdoc Research Day), with the help of the executive team.
- Attend and participate in meetings of the PDA executive members
- Assist in all PDA executive members plan and ensure smooth running of the organization
- Assist the President and VP-Communications in answering e-mails and updating the PDA’s website
- Perform duties of the President, in the event of absence or illness of the President
- Work with the President, VP-External and VP-Communications to identify and collect job postings of interest for postdocs
The UBC PDA VP-External shall:
- Raise the voice of UBC postdoctoral fellows at regional and national platforms through participation and dialogues with the Canadian Association for Postdoctoral Scholars (CAPS-ACSP)
- Build and promote alliance with various BC industrial sectors to create opportunities for researchers outside academia. The VP-External is in the lead of organizing career-focused events for postdocs (such as Career Networking Events), with the help of the executive team.
- Work closely together with the SFU (Simon Fraser University) PDA and other trainee-led organizations in the Vancouver area, as well as the UBC Okanagan PDA, to organize joint events and facilitate networking
- Work with CAPS-ACSP to create and sustain dialogue with legislators to acknowledge the role of postdoctoral fellows and research associates to Canadian economy
- Address or raise awareness for issues relevant to postdoctoral fellows and research associates
- Work with the UBC PDA executive team and liaise with its partners
- Work with the President, VP-Operations and VP-Communications to identify and collect job postings of interest for postdocs
**President and/or VP-External may have the opportunity to attend the annual CAPA/CAPS Meeting or the CSPC meeting.
The UBC PDA VP-Communications shall:
- Be responsible for the development of the communication strategy
- Manage communication activities that promote, enhance, and protect the PDA’s brand reputation, including running the PDA’s social media accounts, slack community and website
- Assist the President and VP-Operations in replying to e-mails
- Responsible for curating and disseminating news items relevant to UBC postdocs in the form of a monthly PDA newsletter, with the help of the President
- The VP-Communications is in the lead of organizing the annual 3 Minute Postdoc Slam, with the help of the executive team
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare presentations and other supporting material as needed during events
- Promote events
- Support the communications needs of the PDA and the Postdoctoral Fellows Office
- Work with the President, VP-Operations and VP-External to identify and collect job postings of interest for postdocs
The UBC PDA VP-Social shall:
- Attend and participate in the three PDFO orientations each year, during which the VP Social shall advertise the PDA to the new postdocs and deliver a short presentation about “Getting to know Vancouver”
- Lead the planning, advertising and execution of social and networking events for postdocs, including
- Regular social events (around 1/month) for the postdoc community (virtual or in-person)
- The annual Whistler trip (organize to/from Whistler and reserve accommodation at the UBC lodge or a hostel of choice)
- Organize the Holiday party (venue reservation and run games e.g. “white elephant”)
- Work with the VP Finance and President to set a budget for the monthly social events
The UBC PDA VP-Finance shall:
- Draft an annual budget for submission to UBC
- Oversee correct use and spending of the UBC PDA budget and liaise with the Postdoctoral Fellows Office
- Maintain up-to-date records pertaining to PDA finances
- Be responsible for liasing with the PDA’s banking institution and preparing cheques for reimbursements
- Help organize events (3-Minute Postdoc Slam, Postdoctoral Research Day, seminars in general)
- Arrange for an annual audit of the PDA finances at the end of the fiscal year
The UBC PDA VP-Equity, Diversity and Inclusion shall:
- Call EDI subcommittee meetings
- Set agenda for the EDI subcomittee meetings
- Be responsible for the distribution of resources (via Slack, Twitter, Newsletter) in collaboration with VP Communications
- Relay EDI information from CAPS (Canada Association of Postdoctoral Scholars) and work with CAPS on a national level
- Oversee and take the lead in planning of EDI-related events
All elected officers are expected to attend the majority of monthly PDA executive meetings, as well as a monthly meeting with the Postdoctoral Fellows Office (PDFO) to report about the PDA’s operations and discuss issues relevant to the PDA and postdoc community at UBC. Also, elected officers are expected to help organize the PDA’s events (3-Minute Postdoc Slam, Postdoctoral Research Day, seminars in general).
Executive Committee Members:
These are volunteer, non-elected positions which are open to all postdocs and Research Associates affiliated with UBC. The Executive committee members assist in the planning, organization and execution of various PDA events and help the PDA advocate on behalf of postdocs at UBC, and may also aid in aspects of the PDFO orientation as needed. They serve as valued helpers and members of the team. We are always looking for new non-elected executive members and would be happy to welcome you to our team. Do you want to join the executive team? Just write us an e-mail!
Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!