Business Letters: Complaint and Bad News Letters

Complaint Letter

Tarandeep Atwal

9712 Lakewood Cres.

Belle River, ON  N0R1A0

November 26, 2019

Costco Headquarters

P.O. Box 34331

Seattle, WA  98124

Subject: Complaint regarding wrong delivery of an online order

Dear Customer Relations Manager,

Costco has many reasons to take pride in its service delivered to customers.  I have also been a proud executive membership holder of Costco for the last 13 years.  I was conveniently enjoying my membership benefits and services until my last online order which caused me a great amount of inconvenience.  It was my first ever online order with Costco that discouraged me to do online shopping.

I purchased grocery goods online through Costco.ca on November 20, 2019 with order number 8138145.  My executive membership ID # is 345234214.  After placing the order and completing the credit card transaction, I received a confirmation email from Costco.ca.  During the process of placing the order, I do not recall my shipping address being verified by the website, I remember filling in my billing address though.  After reading the email, I realized that the order was shipped for delivery at my previous address in Brampton, Ontario which is 300 km away from my current address.  I quickly called the customer service to correct this error but to my dismay, I received an insensitive reply.  I was told that nothing can be done to change the delivery address, neither can I cancel my order.   I will either have to call the homeowners of my previous house to refuse the delivery or I will have to somehow arrange to pick the order up from that address.  Both options provided to me were irrational.

I would appreciate if you look into this matter and grant me a refund for my online purchase.  Only if there was a written policy telling the buyers that they are eligible to cancel their orders only within 30 minutes of purchase, or there was a confirmation message for shipping address prior to hitting the “Place Order” button, it would not have happened.  I will be waiting for your reply and a resolution to my problem.  Please contact me either via email at taran_8882@hotmail.com or phone at 712-773-4532.

Sincerely,

Tarandeep Atwal

Bad News Letter

George Turnbull

Costco Headquarters

P.O. Box 34331

Seattle, WA  98124

November 27,2019

Tarandeep Atwal

9712 Lakewood Cres.

Belle River, ON  N0R1A0

Dear Ms. Atwal,

Thank you for doing business with us and for being a committed executive member at Costco. We value your feedback and correspondence regarding our services.  Customer satisfaction is our priority and we want to ensure that through our services.

I am sorry to know that order number 8138145 placed on November 20, 2019 was misdelivered.  The address entered when setting up an online account is saved as default shipping address unless it is changed in account settings or by calling customer service.  As for cancellation, it is Costco’s policy that online orders must be cancelled within 30 minutes of placing them because of our two-day delivery promise.  I apologize that customer service representatives could not resolve the issue promptly.  The addressees have received the shipment and if they could arrange to drop it off at the local Costco warehouse located  within 7 km radius or at FedEx drop-off location located within 2 km radius, Costco will grant full refund to the billed credit card.

Costco’s return policy is very accommodating.  We will willingly accept the order return in spite of the fact that it consists of some perishable goods. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding in this matter.  Please contact me for any questions at 425-313-8100 ext. 237.

Best Regards,

George Turnbull

Customer Relations Manager