End-of-Term Assessments

What do you mean by “end-of-term assessment”?

End-of-term assessments are primarily intended to measure student achievement of course goals.  These types of assessments are sometimes called “summative” assessments.

Examples of “end-of-term assessments” include:

• final examination questions
    • you may which to choose only one final exam question to align with an indicator, or you may have a set of exam questions that align with the indicator.
  • term reports (e.g., laboratory or design or analysis, etc)
    • there may be one report requirement, or perhaps a set of requirements that align with one indicator.
  • end-of-term oral presentation
    • there may be one presentation requirement, or perhaps a set of requirements that align with one indicator
  • end-of-term poster
    • there may be one poster requirement, or perhaps a set of requirements that align with one indicator

It’s up to you to decide what assessment aligns with a given indicator.

Can I use assignment questions as assessments that align with an indicator?

No.  assignments typically help students learn material and the marks do not reflect student achievement of learning.

Can I use midterm exam questions as assessments that align with an indicator?

It’s possible.  If the exam questions are intended to measure student performance regarding course goals, then these questions would be fine.  But, if the mid-term is intended to help students get ready for the final exam, then it’s not a good idea to use the questions from the mid-term as CEAB Graduate Attribute data.

What if I think my course aligns with one or more indicator but the course doesn’t have any exam questions or other assessments that relate to these indicators?

For accreditation purposes, we are only interested in collecting assessment data (i.e. marks) that align with the indicators.  You may wish to consider to develop assessments that relate to the indicators your course covers.